alsch C3PA brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed this yesterday. A later start than planned due to laziness, procrastination and the sudden urge to build a new sparging system from some disposable BBQ trays. Aimed to start 10am, actually started at 12.

C3PA

4.5kg pale malt (should have been 5kg but the shop short-changed me... again!)
250g Caramel 150
250g Melanoidin
250g Torrified wheat

17l water @ 68 degrees for 1 hour

Sparging 1 hour, 23l of wort (last runnings were 1.006 as I was a bit late :-( )

Boil 1hr5min

20g Centennial 60 mins
20g Centennial 15 mins
Tsp Irish moss 15 mins
20g Citra and 20g Cascade at switch off

40 mins cooling (not sure why it took much longer this time).

Pitched 1 packet of M44 Mangrove Jacks West Coast yeast directly onto the wort.

Going to dry hop another 20g each of Cascade and Citra after a few days. This morning I already see the beginnings of a krausen on top.

Was aiming for a slightly cloudy APA but it looks like it might be a bit darker than that, we'll see.

My boiler leaked at one of the elements again but I had already switched that one off. It was a very small leak so I continued (last time I had to emergency decant the wort into the FV mid boil, repair it and continue and it didn't seem to adversly impact the beer!). Was aiming for about 22 litres but ended with 18.

Couple of photos from the brew

20170820_151030.jpg

20170820_141302.jpg

IMG-20170820-WA0005.jpg

Ha, well its an online Czech store so I doubt they'd lose much custom by being shamed on here, but yeah not good. Resulting in loads of last minute re-calculations. I've found at least two other decent suppliers, one of which is really local so I can save the fiver or so delivery as well, so these guys aren't going to get any business from me for a while.

Having said that the problem over here is, with the relative paucity of shopping options is that sometimes you are forced to use a particular supplier since they are the only ones with that malt or hop in stock. Or you have to buy odds and sods from each and pay delivery 3 times over or so. :(

Latest posts

Back