Smoking your own malt (not in a pipe!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex smokery

Reaction score
I am interested in trying to make some beer with smoked-malt but would be interested to hear from anyone else who has tried it. Did you smoke just a proportion of the grain and was this prior to crushing? Did you smoke pale malt, crystal, chocolate etc, for how long and how did you find the finished result? Lots of questions I know but there a lot of variables!

Er...sorry I just used Rauch Malt, gives a very smokey flavour to the brews

Only used smoked malt once and it was disgusting. I used a few hundred grams in a 5gallon brew and after 12months the beer was way too smokey.
Hope your experience will be better than mine :thumb:

only ever used peated whiskey smoked malt-wayy to lazy to smoke my own, initally it does give a very smoked sausage flavour (post ferment in hydro) but in low amounts-150g etc it does impart nice characteristics after a bit of aging in bottle 2-3weeks-my 500g lasted 4 brews worth

I used 6% in my Nutty Rauch Brown brew, after 4 weeks there's just a hint of a smokey flavour. Have to admit I would be reluctant to add more to a brew

Hmmm, it certainly seems as though I need to tread cautiously here. Either a light smoking or just a small proportion of smoked grain.

Latest posts

Back