Salfale s-04 Whitelabs WLP001 comparison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingfisher

Regular.
Reaction score
In the two brews I've done I've used each of the above. The Salfale S-04 on a bitter, it was very fast acting and the initial fermentation fell back after a couple of days. I secondary FV'd after a week. With the Whitelabs I cast it on an American Pale Ale on the 4th of September and nothing happened for two days, I was beginning to think that the FV wasn't airtight but it started and is still going today, over two weeks later. The initial SG was 1036 and temperature is between 22-24C. Is this fermentation period normal with WLP001 :?:

Its certainly not typical that it takes two days to get going, sounds like you didn't make a large enough starter. Personally i've taken to using US-05 which is the dried version of WL001 in packet form, much cheaper and none of the hassles of making a starter etc.

When i brew with US-05 it takes off quickly but it keeps on fermenting, much longer than say S04 typically does. Thats to be expected i guess since its a very attenuative yeast and just keeps munching on those dextrins.

Thanks DB, I pitched the whole bottle directly as per instructions and didn't make a starter. I'll bear in mind US-05. Those dextrins are still busy and must have invited friends over :party: The brew's still going at around 3 times a minute in the airlock.

I like the taste US 05 gave but vowed never to use it again until I had a way of crash cooling the yeast out of suspension as it never wants to stop :lol:
I'll try and compensate for this next time by mashing at a higher temp.

Vossy1 said:
I like the taste US 05 gave but vowed never to use it again until I had a way of crash cooling the yeast out of suspension as it never wants to stop :lol:
Not something I've ever noticed with it. It usually finishes dry but not excessively so. I usually ferment it at around 18C.

I've included US-05 on an order today - not tried it before. Is there any particular style it's best for :?:

I want to know what you're doing differently steve :)
I've read many reports on how US 05 is notorious for not clearing easily by any method other than time and chilling :hmm:
My last brew with 05 was 1.048 OG and 1.006fg. It didn't taste too dry but it had me worried :D

Is there any particular style it's best for

It's very good in pales due to it being fairly neutral tasting. US-05 tech sheet

Also good for poster/stouts IPA's and especially big beer that you may want to attunatue a little bit more

I've used s05 on porters and i found it no problem at all. Standard way i ferment and just left FV for 10 days at 18C. It cleared nicely but i did find the yeast layer in the bottom of the bottom was easily disturbed.

Latest posts

Back