Too much yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

568ml

Reaction score
Brewed up the Coopers Authentic IPA, clicky.

It calls for two packets of yeasties, I used the on from the kit and then added a 7g Muntons Gold Beer Yeast. And instead of 1kg light spray malt I used 1x500g light spray malt and 1x500g hopped spray malt.

OG was 1050 and it went off at 20c and slowly dropped down to 15c over the next following days.

Checked it last night, eight days in, and it was very cloudy and tasted of yeast. The FG was 1010.

I can't remember that from the last time I brewed this kit. Other than that I used a different yeast, can't remember which.

I will leave it in the pot for a week more and see how it goes.

So the question is can you put too much yeast in, would it ruin the drink or just drop to the bottom?

/568ml

I have had a look round the forum and the general consensus is - The yeast will eat the sugars available and then fall to the bottom.

at 1.010 it looks like the fermentation has gone pretty well. I think more fermentations run into problems when too little yeast is pitched rather than too much..adding the extra 7grm pack is sensible. I was using one 11grm pack (Wilko Gervin or Saf 04 or 05 typically) re-hydrated but am currently pitching 5 gal batches with 2*11gram packs without any issues...in fact my fermentations seems to be more reliable...take off quicker and finish quicker. Cost is an issue so tend to do 2*11grm packs with Wilko Gervin.

My understanding is, overpitching can be more of a problem for commercial breweries rather than HBers.

I usually over pitch. Normally when using cultured up yeast from bottle conditioned beers and/or when I repitch some slurry from the bottom of the previous brew. I dotnt really do it on purpose but I cant be bothered to try to pitch the appropriate amount of yeast cell

I use liquid yeast mostly originating from White Labs. I propagate lots of yeast from the liquid vial. Then I split this between two 5 gall brews. I reuse yeast many times and at the end I have used up to 1/2 litre of yeast in each brew. Normally I would use much smaller additions.

1/2 litre is Far Far too much but I have produced some really good beers from this over pitching. I will say that I do have to rack off carefully and let the beer settle before barreling in a Corni. Otherwise residual yeast will cause the beer to be very cloudy.

i add all the yeast I have partly because I have it but also because I want to see how far I can go in over additions.

A Fantastic book "Yeast" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff is really worth getting and reading. I have a hemocytometer and microscope but have not used it to count the optimum number of yeast cells.

I am told that it is much more important to add too many rather than too few yeast cells.

Good luck.

Oh update, bottled it a week ago, was cloudier than the last time I did it. Though after a week in bottles it was clear and I tested one. Very young tasting, no hint if yeasties, it's going to be a good drop in a few more weeks.

Back