Everyones next planned brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished my 51 batch. Nothing special but I got some saaz hops.... And those don't come around Japan much.
14 liters,
2.5 kg Pilsner
1 kg Munich

Hops,
28 g northern brewer @60
20 g Saaz @ 8
15 g Saaz @ 80 degree wort for 20 min.

Ran it through the chiller into two FV. On this batch, I started to use an air pump to add oxygen. Has anyone done this? I started it and heard it takes like 10 min. to get enough oxygen in. So I went about the most enjoyable part of brewing, cleaning. After only a few minutes had a look and my kitchen was being consumed by a mountain of foam!! How do I stop that????

I have an aquarium pump and various bits on order. You worried me now!

Washing up liquid might work? It's supposed to break the surface tension.

Please don't!

I have an aquarium pump and various bits on order. You worried me now!

Washing up liquid might work? It's supposed to break the surface tension.

Please don't!

What a lovely way to say nothing contentious! :grin: :grin: :grin:

You should be a politician!! Plus "Allez France" to cheer you up!! :whistle::whistle:

I know people who pump straight oxygen in and there is some foaming.... But this was epic. And being the first time I used a pump, was shocked.
Maybe I could make some kind of T piping to put in line after the plate chiller.

What a lovely way to say nothing contentious! :grin: :grin: :grin:

You should be a politician!! Plus "Allez France" to cheer you up!! :whistle::whistle:

I'm actually Welsh, 56 years old, this is the first time Wales qualified for a major championship in my lifetime. I'm happy already. :lol:

Gonna sort my last 2 kits, probably ever. Better Brew Export Lager for the brother in law, and my second Bulldog IPA. Both good kits, so lets see how they go down in the 7 week break I have coming up soon...

After that the brew shed will be up and the AG fun will begin in earnest...

Took delivery of a Fulstow Brewery Northway IPA full mash kit today and it is now in the fridge and (hopefully) fermenting! :thumb:

The OG was spot on at the predicted 1.042 so well pleased with myself. :whistle:

The joy of brewing these kits is that all I have to do is to drive over to Louth, where they run a small pub called The Gaslight Lounge, and see what it should taste like!

Next planned adventure is one of their Recession Session kits which is a great drink on a hot summer day with an ABV of 3.8%.

I'm an anathema to those who measure everything precisely (good band by the way).
Next 10l batch probably - 1kg med spray malt, 1.5kg maris Otter and 250g Choc and any yeast I can find and the rest of the Challenger hops in the freezer.
This weekend I'll be bottling my last 10l batch (Broken Pump) and starting
this new one. After 2 dodgy runs, I think I've found the problem.
Being a noob, I assumed that you can use any proportion of posh crystal malts instead of base malts :doh:, so I didn't get any sweetness coming through from the grains. I now know the error of my ways, I'll keep the MO proportion higher.

BG

I'm loving Mikkeller's recipes and next I'm making his rauchpils, substituting a couple of ingredients to suit my system. I'm also planning to make a sorachi ace best bitter and a traditional English IPA. I have some woodchips to go in that one.

Also I'm planning a partigyle experiment soon, once I get the FV space and a couple of days to do it - one day to brew one to recover.

I'm loving Mikkeller's recipes and next I'm making his rauchpils, substituting a couple of ingredients to suit my system. I'm also planning to make a sorachi ace best bitter and a traditional English IPA. I have some woodchips to go in that one.

Also I'm planning a partigyle experiment soon, once I get the FV space and a couple of days to do it - one day to brew one to recover.

I got mikkellers book last christmas, I have done the Green Gold which was delicious, next brew for me is the smokey coffee stout one - think its Beer Geek Bacon from memory. Bought the ingredients, just need to find the time.

I got mikkellers book last christmas, I have done the Green Gold which was delicious, next brew for me is the smokey coffee stout one - think its Beer Geek Bacon from memory. Bought the ingredients, just need to find the time.

Some of the recipes look ridiculous, especially when you need an entire field of Simcoe or Nelson Sauvin hops in a 20L brew, but the ones I've tried have come out really well. I've done the Imperial Lager, the Coffee Stout as well (I also added vanilla pods in 2ndary and it was an amazing beer), and I've got the Monk's Brew fermenting away now. Also I use those recipes as a base for other beers I've made but change it to suit something more what I'm after.

Despite the extremities of the recipes, they come out well rounded and complex.

Despite the extremities of the recipes, they come out well rounded and complex.

Couldn't agree more, some very interesting grain bills to try. I tend to scale down on the grain, I prefer to quaff a few 5% ABV beers, not sip 7-11%. Each to their own though.

Not sure I learnt much about process from the book but it is well put together and quite an inspiring read - if you are interested in beer obviously !

Next up for me is a Mikkeller Green Gold clone from the Mikkeller book. I've tried their's in a pub and it is one of the best beers I've tasted so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm overjoyed to read the Green Gold turns out well. :thumb: Did you add the 1 min hop additions and cool straight away or did you steep? I've whacked the recipe in to BeerSmith and the IBU's came out at under 100 (which is fine with me) but the book said it should be over so wasn't sure if I should steep for a bit.

Have you noticed how many simple mistakes are in the book?

I'm overjoyed to read the Green Gold turns out well. :thumb: Did you add the 1 min hop additions and cool straight away or did you steep? I've whacked the recipe in to BeerSmith and the IBU's came out at under 100 (which is fine with me) but the book said it should be over so wasn't sure if I should steep for a bit.

Have you noticed how many simple mistakes are in the book?

Here is my write up: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59900

I did utilise some Chinook hops I had in the freezer for bittering and scaled back the grain bill to reduce the ABV but it was very, very good - possibly the best brew I have done to date.

I add my 'flameout' hops after chilling the wort quickly to 80°C, then add the flameout hops and steep for 30 mins before chilling to 20°C.

Steeping at flameout (at 80°C) won't increase the IBU's, if you want higher IBU's then you would be best to increase the 60 mins hops a little.

Just have a play in Beersmith tweaking the 60 minutes hops up a little until you hit your required number.

Having said that not sure most of us could tell the difference between 90 IBU's and 100 !!!

After I come back from Italy in July I plan to knock out my Patersbier and Oat Stout then put a big order in for my next 5 brews. Been doing some recipes today - watch this space.

Couldn't agree more, some very interesting grain bills to try. I tend to scale down on the grain, I prefer to quaff a few 5% ABV beers, not sip 7-11%. Each to their own though.

Not sure I learnt much about process from the book but it is well put together and quite an inspiring read - if you are interested in beer obviously !

Yeah I thought the same: didn't gain much from the rest of the book, and I kept rolling my eyes when he kept going about how great he is and how great his brewery is. But TBH I got it for the recipes primarily anyway!

This weekends brew.

AG#7 Henry's Hoppy Bitter (Northern English Brown Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.00 %
Colour (SRM): 18.9 (EBC): 37.2
Bitterness (IBU): 44.4 (Average)

81.3% Maris Otter Malt
8.13% Carapils (Dextrine)
4.07% Biscuit
4.07% Crystal 120
1.63% Chocolate
0.81% Black Malt

1 g/L Galaxy (15.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Challenger (6.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.6 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Latest posts

Back