Postal Bottle Swap 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just sampled dad's_ale's armadillo pale.

1 finger head of carbonation. spot on. clear light golden colour. very effective hopping, it doesn't slap you in the face with hops, you know they are there and it's such a delight. I've not tried an armadillo and perle ale before, but by golly i'll be on the lookout for those in the future. DA's ale is smooth and refined rather than brash and it went down too easily and quickly. For me it's a perfectly hopped session pale ale and reminded me of one of my favourites I had at the 2015 Swansea bay beer festival. It should be noted that I don't generally go for pale ales, because I like a slap in the face with my beers, but this was sublime & delicious, probably the best pale I've had.

Finally got around to opening this bad boy and I would agree with the above comments. It poured really nicely with a nice tight head and spot on carbonation. It is very restrained by modern standards, it reminded me of being in the same vein as Anchor Liberty ale, so pretty easy drinking.
It does have an slight tangerine/melon taste with a slight spiciness (guessing the latter is probably the perle). A really interesting drink and nice to get to taste some new hops.

A couple of questions:
The carbonation is spot on, what was the g/L that was used?

What did you use to attach the labels to the bottle?

DA I am thinking about sending you a JBK Wee Bee in return, it is a session version of Stone's Arrogant ******* (but I have just noticed the other day is almost a clone of a Wierd Bierd imperial bitter), have you tried this at all (definitely different but interesting due to the chinook hopping and large helping of special b)?

85fef549de7422eeb7ff0153019a7bfa.jpg

40854d562ce2d44b23a2c41478e8d86b.jpg

Finally got around to opening this bad boy and I would agree with the above comments. It poured really nicely with a nice tight head and spot on carbonation. It is very restrained by modern standards, it reminded me of being in the same vein as Anchor Liberty ale, so pretty easy drinking.
It does have an slight tangerine/melon taste with a slight spiciness (guessing the latter is probably the perle). A really interesting drink and nice to get to taste some new hops.

A couple of questions:
The carbonation is spot on, what was the g/L that was used?

What did you use to attach the labels to the bottle?

DA I am thinking about sending you a JBK Wee Bee in return, it is a session version of Stone's Arrogant ******* (but I have just noticed the other day is almost a clone of a Wierd Bierd imperial bitter), have you tried this at all (definitely different but interesting due to the chinook hopping and large helping of special b)?

Glad you liked the beer. I didn't go too mad with the hops on this one as it was the first time I had used them and had read that they could be a bit overpowering.

Of course the one bit of information I forgot to write on the brew sheet was the amount of priming sugar I used, but generally I use about 5 to 6 g/l of brewing sugar.

The labels were attached with milk. The paper is 130gsm gloss inkjet paper. Being gloss you can coat the back with milk and it doesn't bleed through. I coat the back of the label and put some on the bottle. Works really well and you get a bit of re-alignment time.

The Wee Bee sounds good. I haven't tried those beers before so this will suit me down to the ground.

Cheers
Dads_Ale

Brew day (Riwaka Pale) seemed a good opportunity to sample another beer :whistle:

Mayflower APA

0738729f-a69d-42ab-8bcc-6ce717249525.jpg

Great colour and good carbonation. Aroma reminded me of tropical fruit with mango coming through.
Drinking gave a similar experience with a good balance between bitterness, tropical fruit and malt sweetness.
A refreshing beer on a warm day but easy to forget it is 5% :)

Nice one TheRedDarren :thumb:

Great review, thanks Dads!

I must say I found writing the reviews the most difficult part of the bottle swap (the drinking was no problem :whistle:).

I was tempted to just write 'great beer' but knew that people would want a bit more than this.

With such a range in beer styles I roped in SWMBO to help with the tasting notes as I know if I like a beer but struggle trying to put the flavour into words.

What made it that bit easier was the fact that all the beers were 'great beer'

This has been a fantastic, popular and highly entertaining thread. Are there any more bottles to arrive Dad?

For those of you who might of missed it, Notlaw has organised a bottle packaging groups buy (thanks Notlaw :hat: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62890), Unforetunately I think all the packaging offered has been taken up but those members who will be group buying packaging, I'm sure will be doing bottle swaps of their own. So anyone that missed out on DA's bottle swap will have those to look forward too

This has been a fantastic, popular and highly entertaining thread. Are there any more bottles to arrive Dad?

For those of you who might of missed it, Notlaw has organised a bottle packaging groups buy (thanks Notlaw :hat: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62890), Unforetunately I think all the packaging offered has been taken up but those members who will be group buying packaging, I'm sure will be doing bottle swaps of their own. So anyone that missed out on DA's bottle swap will have those to look forward too

One in the fridge that I will try this week (10.5% :grin:) and one more on its way. That's the lot then, 13 in total (7 more than I had originally planned but as I already had the packaging made sense to extend it :))

I must say that I am really impressed with the quality of the beers and they have been as good as, if not better, than most commercial offerings :thumb:

RIS-KEY BUSINESS
Goodrich Brewery

Love the label :smile:

a2773bb3-a418-4029-9ac2-6e0d9f05b36e.jpg

This one promised to be a belter at whopping 10.4%. I was going to leave it a bit longer before trying but my inquisitiveness got the better of me :whistle:.
This one was a bit lively and needed to be poured very carefully, the large glass proved a good choice.

The aroma was a lovely sweetness with alcohol coming through. Taste also gave an initial sweet liquorice and raisin flavour, closely followed by the alcohol. What really came through was the fact that neither of these sensations overpowered the other. I was pleased that I didn’t get the normal sherry type notes that I normally associate with a beer of this strength. I’m sure the use of malt extract in this type of dark beer really improved the sweet taste.

I have tried a few commercial beers at this strength but I must say this one was far better than most and, if it was on sale, would be one I would buy again. Nice one Dad_of_Jon :thumb:

Have ye the recipe please

here's my brewing notes for this naughty boy.....

20/03/2016
Brew 16 - Ris-ky business Belgian RIS

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar

Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

steep grains in 2 litres chase spring water
water strike temp 76.8 - mash/steep temp 65 for 1 hour
rinsed with 2 litres water at 50 degrees
added 4 litres to boil
and 4kg dme and candi sugar boiled for 15 min

50g mandarina bavaria in 1 litre of water separate 15 min boil
all pitched into fv and final 500g WME stirred in.
topped up to 22 litres with chase spring water(determined to end up with 20 litres of beer) = 60 x 33cl bottles!
Mj Belgian ale yeast rehydrated in 150ml 30deg water
pitched at 29 degrees - fermenting at 22

OG 1090.
3 weeks in fermentor
FG 1011

10.37%

150g brewing sugar in 400ml boiled water for bottling bucket

RIS-KEY BUSINESS
Goodrich Brewery

Love the label :smile:

a2773bb3-a418-4029-9ac2-6e0d9f05b36e.jpg

This one promised to be a belter at whopping 10.4%. I was going to leave it a bit longer before trying but my inquisitiveness got the better of me :whistle:.
This one was a bit lively and needed to be poured very carefully, the large glass proved a good choice.

The aroma was a lovely sweetness with alcohol coming through. Taste also gave an initial sweet liquorice and raisin flavour, closely followed by the alcohol. What really came through was the fact that neither of these sensations overpowered the other. I was pleased that I didn’t get the normal sherry type notes that I normally associate with a beer of this strength. I’m sure the use of malt extract in this type of dark beer really improved the sweet taste.

I have tried a few commercial beers at this strength but I must say this one was far better than most and, if it was on sale, would be one I would buy again. Nice one Dad_of_Jon :thumb:

Cool, I have the same aventinus glass as well :thumb:

I find it promotes a big head I've only had 1 finger head in a chalice glass but that's for a 330ml bottle. I do chill my beers a lot then let them warm up a bit.

I think it would develop more sherry notes if leaving if for 6 months or so it is still only 2 months old ;-)

Having tried a cloudwater ris at brewdog on saturday - 10% for 1/3 of a pint for £5. not cheap and I preferred my ris-key business over it, although brooklyn black chocolate stout always gets my vote :grin:

hope you didn't wake up on the floor after sampling it :lol:

I posted this earlier in the Polystyrene Bottle Packaging (a la Dads_ale's bottle swap) thread after reading post POST 65, dan125 replied and said it "Sounds like a plan Chippy" so i thought i would get members views.

Instead of trying to get a group to all swap at the same time why don't the members with the packaging open threads asking for a certain type of beer they would like to try and see if a member has made it and wants a swap, if they don't get a response they could then ask members in a new thread what members are willing to swap, I could add bottle swap to a title of one of the quieter forums so the threads stay on page one longer.

I posted this earlier in the Polystyrene Bottle Packaging (a la Dads_ale's bottle swap) thread after reading post POST 65, dan125 replied and said it "Sounds like a plan Chippy" so i thought i would get members views.

Now that's a good idea chippy. I've got two swaps running at the moment but that's a great way of getting some more going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back