The age of the average home brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why dont you just get a 125cc if its just for round town. Petrol is cheap as chips, your looking at 100 miles to the gallon. but not a tremendous amount of guts on it

Will include occassional longer trips including dual carrigeways. There is one stretch of road between town and me that is faster, unlit and particularly bad for drivers cutting others up before it goes from 2 to 1 lane. Extra power to get out of trouble there could be a life saver and my life is more important than saving a few quid.

Why dont you just get a 125cc if its just for round town. Petrol is cheap as chips, your looking at 100 miles to the gallon. but not a tremendous amount of guts on it

Ah the economical joy of a small bike ... BUT ...

... having ridden a 250 BSA Bantam and borrowed from mates such bikes as a BSA Road Racer, a Vinny Thousand and a Velocette Viper ...

... I finally got nailed on a Suzuki 80 on my way home from work in the dark! :doh: :doh:

Why? Poor lighting, no poke and limited braking capacity all contributed to me being run off the road by a drunken pillock and spending nine months off work.

I should have "heeded the gypsy warning" and got rid of the bike the week before my accident when I was overtaken by a long articulated lorry that suddenly pulled into the side of the road before he had fully overtaken me.

With a kerbstone on my left, the bed of the lorry hanging over my right shoulder and a massive set of wheels at the back of me I managed to stay upright and level with the lorry until I had a grass verge to swerve on to and let the lorry pass ...

... while my heart got back to normal. :thumb: :thumb:

After my accident I vowed to NEVER ride a small bike ever again and I didn't; so I can't recommend one to anyone else.

Sorry, but for me safety comes well before economy and in motorbike terms I associate things like double disc brakes, wide tyres and plenty of grunt with "Safety"! :thumb:

BTW

Whatever bike you ride, I also recommend that you practice emergency stops at least once a day and offer the following advice:

1. NEVER apply the rear brake until the front brake is applied as hard as you dare and the front tyre is buried into the tarmac.

2. GENTLY apply the rear brake and be aware that (with the rear tyre lifting due to application of the front brake) it will lock up with very little pressure.

3. ALWAYS drive to the road conditions but especially be aware that, when braking, a wet, gravelled or damaged road surface can increase your stopping distance by over 100%.

I'm 36 and started in march. Come to think of it, discovering home brew was prob the only decent thing of note in 2016 for me

I feel as though rediscovering HB in 2013 has been a defining moment also.:thumb:

Seems a lot of us have rediscovered beer in the past few years. Maybe it's the alcohol tax increases that's spurred it on Haha.

I've found that because life get so hectic that sometimes we loose track of things that we have enjoyed in our lives due to other circumstances and there comes a time when a memory is triggered opening a door to time forgotten.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I'm 30 and started last year (2015) as I got a beginners kit for my 29th birthday, now about 18 months on, I think Ive got a setup that works and feel confident after my few brews to put myself into competitions next year to improve myself further, under no illusion I'd win anything but feel like I won't get laughed out the pub now

40 & started this year. 10 x ~23L all grain batches so far. addictive hobby.

also ride bikes. ducati monster & Ducati ST$s

Back