Had to use co2 gas bulb after beer has cleard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi a friend of mine has just started home brewing so he ordered the stater kit from Balliiyo he followed the instructions to the letter. Once he had fermented it and transferd it to the PB in a few days the pressure soon built up to 7psi after that the instructions told him to move it to a cooler place I think he done that not sure because I was not There but he does have under floor heating. Anyway he got in touch with me saying the beer was well clear So I went over and saw him he then informed me that the beer was cloudy on the Thursday but cleared on the Saturday. He then said when he came to try a beer it only trickled out so he had to put a gas bulb in to get the beer out there was hardly any head on the beer and tasted very flat a few bubbles but that was it. There is something not right. There is no gas escaping so what could it be?

He did check it after punting the co2 and it read 6psi on Saturday and it is reading 3psi now. he did check for leaks could see none using the soppy water method

How long was it in the PB before he pulled a pint? It does take a while after pressure has built up for CO2 to carbonate the beer. Clear beer is good, but it doesn't mean it's ready to pull.

If your friend has a standard PB it may have a small leak, since its been primed and gassed up and there is little pressure. The most likely place is the lid. One way of finding out is to inject a CO2 bulb and then go round everything, including seams above the liquid level, with soapy water
More in here
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel

He done that terrym could not find any leak after this had happened the only beer he checked was a glass to see it had cleard

Got IT SORTED! What it was ballyhoo fault they found out was they had some faulty caps that had a a slight small crack . But the downside My friend Had to relley push them to get a answer though As my friend said he brought the whole kit from them plus he has ordered a other pressure barrel from them it was just going to be sent out. My friend asked has that one got a faulty lid the guy came a few minutes later and said his new barrel they where going to send had a faulty lid but they manged to change it just in time They are sending him a new lid though for the PB he has at home with 40 pints in it . Bad form on Ballyhoo side imagine if there are others out there who have brought these PB with faulty lids wondering why they are losing pressure where it was not there fault

Latest posts

Back