F40 Brewlabs Liquid Yeast - Pictures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46.philh

Regular.
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting some liquid yeast and the split it like is done here...

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id45.html

These are the brews I am thinking of doing next ....

Black Sheep
Flowers Original
Townes IPA
Old Bernard
Sunshine
Worthington white Shield

Is there a Brew Labs liquid yeast split I could use for these ?

Something like WLP002, WLP005 or WLP007

Are these split Liquid Yeast ok to use when the beer is bottled ? i,e Does it pack down in the bottom of the bottle ok ?

Brewlabs do yeast slants; you then make up a starter for pitching, or you can step up and split many ways for future use. They are really helpful, and you can email them with what you are brewing and they will recommend a yeast from their yeast bank. I'd say you need a cleanish yeast from what you are brewing, but you might want to get a couple from Brewlabs and try them, maybe something fruitier. Good luck :cheers:

Can recomend WLP002 & WLP005 for that style of beer and for splitting. Only tried WLP007 once several years ago, did not suit me as well as the others.

dennisking said:
Can recomend WLP002 & WLP005 for that style of beer and for splitting. Only tried WLP007 once several years ago, did not suit me as well as the others.

Correction, for some reason I was thinking WLP007 was the Burton, just realised its the dry English. Used it for the first time on my last 6 brews, 1 vial split, and really impressed, very good.

Have read on another site the Mr Malty thread was total tosh, Graham Wheeler got into a very heated debate with the author of the piece, a lot of Grahams own research and work with some of the stated brewery yeast seemed to back that up

dennisking said:
Have read on another site the Mr Malty thread was total tosh, Graham Wheeler got into a very heated debate with the author of the piece, a lot of Grahams own research and work with some of the stated brewery yeast seemed to back that up

Total tosh is perhaps overstating it - there are inaccuracies but some of the info is sound though sounds like the British breweries are debatable - where was this thread?

I have used WLP 002 and WLP 023 Burton both brilliant for bottling WLP002 is the best in my opinion because of the clarity after fermentation brilliant

lancsSteve said:
dennisking said:

Total tosh is perhaps overstating it - there are inaccuracies but some of the info is sound though sounds like the British breweries are debatable - where was this thread?
On Jims [hope the mods don't mine me saying that]. Can`t remember the thread it was about 3-4 weeks ago, may need to do a search.

I don't think it makes any difference, you always pour off the old wort before using, I've used light and medium, and both have been fine.

Gone for two from brewlabs...

"we have a very clean yeast which would suit all styles which would allow the flavours of the malt and hops to dominate (F40) and or a fruity ale yeast which will brew a range of alcohol levels"

Good man, I've used the F40 in a pale ale to good results; it's a Scottish & Newcastle strain I believe. Good luck :cheers:

They send an invoice with the slants, terms 30 days, and you can pay by cheque or do a bacs transfer quoting their invoice number.

The yeast starter @ 300ml is going well on the F40.

Was I bit strange with the yeast slope not needing to be dissolved, you start thinking "have i got the cells out!" :D

pour some of the solution onto the yeast culture and shake to suspend the yeast cells.
Alternatively a flamed wire loop may be used to loosen the cells. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISSOLVE THE SLOPE. THE
CELLS ONLY GROW ON THE SURFACE OF THE AGAR AND SHOULD BE DISLODGED BY SHAKING.
http://www.brewlab.co.uk/pdf/yeast_cultures.pdf

Think I might step this up tomorrow night to 3ltr and then pitch the 1ltr straight into my 23ltr brew on Sunday and bottle the rest to go in the fridge, that should be ok shouldn't ?

Nearly forgot to pay for it from brewlabs :nono:

Just looked on the brew labs site can`t see any numbers F40, the all have 4 numbers no letters, what one is it.

dennisking said:
Just looked on the brew labs site can`t see any numbers F40, the all have 4 numbers no letters, what one is it.

I don't think it is listed, they recommended it to me.

Also reading elsewhere on the forum they have quite a few more available to home brewers but don't list them.

Latest posts

Back