F40 Brewlabs Liquid Yeast - Pictures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to try brewlabs when I`ve used up the starters in the fridge. So guess I`ll give them a ring.

46.philh said:
Think I might step this up tomorrow night to 3ltr and then pitch the 1ltr straight into my 23ltr brew on Sunday and bottle the rest to go in the fridge, that should be ok shouldn't ?

You might want to consider the method I use; allow the stepped up starter to finish (which should happen before Sunday) and put somewhere cool to let it settle, on brewday you can then pour off the old wort and add cooled boiled water, I use 100ml for each split, shake gently to get the yeast into suspension then pour equally into your 500ml storage bottles. Let the one you are going to use settle out and collect some wort (500ml) 45mins into your boil, cool to around 22-25C, and add this to your starter (after having poured off the water), by the time you are ready to pitch, the yeasties are ready to go and are aclimatised to your brew (this tip from Aleman by the way :thumb: ). By doing this you are not adding stale starter wort to your brew, which depending on how the starter was fermented, may indroduce unwanted flavours.

I don't know if doing this makes any difference than just pitching the starter and wort, but it isn't much trouble to go through and it works for me :cheers:

Good Ed said:
[quote="46.philh":p4x0jd33]Think I might step this up tomorrow night to 3ltr and then pitch the 1ltr straight into my 23ltr brew on Sunday and bottle the rest to go in the fridge, that should be ok shouldn't ?

You might want to consider the method I use; allow the stepped up starter to finish (which should happen before Sunday) and put somewhere cool to let it settle, on brewday you can then pour off the old wort and add cooled boiled water, I use 100ml for each split, shake gently to get the yeast into suspension then pour equally into your 500ml storage bottles. Let the one you are going to use settle out and collect some wort (500ml) 45mins into your boil, cool to around 22-25C, and add this to your starter (after having poured off the water), by the time you are ready to pitch, the yeasties are ready to go and are aclimatised to your brew (this tip from Aleman by the way :thumb: ). By doing this you are not adding stale starter wort to your brew, which depending on how the starter was fermented, may indroduce unwanted flavours.

I don't know if doing this makes any difference than just pitching the starter and wort, but it isn't much trouble to go through and it works for me :cheers:[/quote:p4x0jd33]
I do a simular way, take one of the split batches and add to 100gms of malt extract in 1lt of water, filltered boiled for 15mins and cooled. This is done 24hrs before brewing. 15mins into boil pour off a 1lt of wort and cool then pour off spent wort from yeast add new wort and like Ed`s
way of doing it its alive and kicking when pitching.

Good Ed said:
[quote="46.philh":1pj8g9cm]Think I might step this up tomorrow night to 3ltr and then pitch the 1ltr straight into my 23ltr brew on Sunday and bottle the rest to go in the fridge, that should be ok shouldn't ?

I don't know if doing this makes any difference than just pitching the starter and wort, but it isn't much trouble to go through and it works for me :cheers:[/quote:1pj8g9cm]

I just about got there in the end I think. time will tell in a weeks time!

Was a bit of a hectic brew day with doing the splits (boild water then cool ) and then tacking the 500ml of wort, cooling and adding to yeast.

Had a bit of trouble doing the splits with pouring of the wort off as it soon mixed with the yeast so could not pour all of it off.

So now got a mixture of water and wort mix in my bottles in the fridge.

The yeast looks bitty instead of a cream / paste I am used to seeing in the bottom of bottles and FV so just hope it works.

The wort is bubbling away nicely in fermention fridge though :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well that looks to be going ok :thumb:

A couple of the split yeast bottles have large white bits floating on the top of the bottle though. (will post photo tonight)
Could it be bits of DME which did not get dissolved or infection. :pray:

The Black Sheep F40 Yeast after 3 days...

Over filled the FV on brew day after adding 1 ltr yeast starter

Had taste from trial jar and no off tastes.

Not seen yeast do this before, is it ok do you think?

Any pictures of other F40 Brews yeast ?

Has a long way to drop on the gravity but only end of day 3.

Normally use S04 which I guess it a lot faster. Normally leave for 7 days untouched and then check gravity.

It all looks quite normal to me Phil. The last time I used F40 the brew went from 1041 to 1011 in 5 days, 6 points/day, and ended up at 1009. I've also just used the F40 in a Summer Lightning, but that's only been going for 3 days and I haven't checked it yet.

Good Ed said:
It all looks quite normal to me Phil. The last time I used F40 the brew went from 1041 to 1011 in 5 days, 6 points/day, and ended up at 1009. I've also just used the F40 in a Summer Lightning, but that's only been going for 3 days and I haven't checked it yet.

That's good to hear, thanks.

Using the stepped up liquid yeast is a bit like going back to doing your first brew again, cannot resist the temptation to have a look! :D

Is that Hop Back Summer Lightning?

That was my first brew and was excellent. I have bought some bottles from Morrison's and going to have a go at harvesting the yeast from them next time I do the Hop Back Summer Lightning

No I don't think it is stuck, you had a nice active ferment and everything should be fine, so I think it's just a matter of being patient as always. :D

My Hop Back Summer Lightning with the F40 has gone from 1051 on Monday to 1022 today at 18C.

Went down to 1012 after 9 days.

No off tastes when sampling from the trial jar so think it all went well

Now in the keg and some bottles.

Cleaned the air lock about 4 times. will not fill the Fv so high next time and maybe think about a blow off tube

Thanks for your help :thumb: :cheers:

Back