A question about DIY boilers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks
I have a new boiler - standard build from a 50 ltr SS stock pot - couple of 3kw elements and a hop strainer. Now, a while back I had a problem with my burco boiler - the element cover came off in the boil and when I put in the IC, it squashed hops onto the elements ruining the wort - burnt taste that wouldn't go.

So the question to all of you who have exposed elements... how do you protect them from the IC?

Hope that makes sense?

Like the others, just slide the cooler down the side, must be loads of room ? Never thought about it, but certainly wouldn't place the cooler sitting on the element :?
S

Basic physics suggests that you want your IC as high as possible in your boiler - that way, the actual presence of the chiller with water flowing through it will generate a circulation, thus chilling the wort more quickly (the chilled wort, being more dense, will sink below the slightly hotter liquid). It's the same principle that drives the Gulf Stream.

Has anyone actually done any experiments with the position of the IC?

I find that stirring has a big impact. I guess position of the chiller and relative density of the wort is not a significant factor if you are moving it around. I'd like to get some ricirculation going like this, but haven't done so yet -my build skills are pretty basic, pressure of time etc. etc.

Yes, since upping my boiler size cooling has been taking a lot longer and I've been pondering automating the stirring and or upping chiller size / moving to plate chiller.Yet another upgrade! S'funny how spendy making cheap beer can get!

Back