Any advice on my first wheat beer welcome! ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerossi

Reaction score
Ok, got ingredients: 50/50 wheat & pale, Saaz, S-goldings, corriander seeds, orange peel etc..but couldn't get the right yeast so using lager yeast, any advice on temps, time so on...is most welcome?. I was planning 13 degrees for the most part and then raising it toward the end & then cold conditioning it but I've not tried it before? :cheers:

ilikerossi said:
Ok, got ingredients: 50/50 wheat & pale, Saaz, S-goldings, corriander seeds, orange peel etc..but couldn't get the right yeast so using lager yeast, any advice on temps, time so on...is most welcome?. I was planning 13 degrees for the most part and then raising it toward the end & then cold conditioning it but I've not tried it before? :cheers:

I'd personally advise holding off until you get the right yeast - brewferm wit dry yeast is good or order a liquid one from malt miller such as wlp400 or reculture from a bottle. Else consider making a simpler lager-a-like (and dropping the coriander and orange peel) and upping the hopping.

For a wit the orange and coriander should be a hint not too dominant.

Both german weissens and belgian wits really are hugely defined by yeast profile so without that the flavourings like coriander and orange could jar badly against a clean lager yeast. IMHO make a lager with some wheat or a wit with right yeast - (or maybe do use a neutral lager yeast and then add some lactic acid and salt with the coriander and head into the weird wild world of Leipziger Gose!)

Back