How much sugar to raise OG of a gallon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamWise72

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this; I know it's been asked many times before, but when I tried to search for it, the search function rejected most of my terms as "too common". Can anyone tell me how much sugar is needed to raise to gravity of 1 gallon from 1.000 to 1.010?

Thanks

In another thread, somebody said: 1kg sugar raises the gravity of 1 ltr water by 360 degs.

You have 4.5ltr, and you want 10degrees... Um...

Try 125gm

Thankyou :) I'm doing a coffee liquer type thing, and I need to feed it til the yeast dies. Time for the first addition.

Using fermcalc with initial SG of 1.000 and target of 1.010 and initial volume of 1 Uk Gallon and it gave me 19 grams. But that is just being PITA accurate

oldbloke said:
In another thread, somebody said: 1kg sugar raises the gravity of 1 ltr water by 360 degs.
Spot on, 100g in the litre gives 36 points or 1.036

10 points therefore requires 28g. Adding sugar to a volume gives you a slightly greater volume, half a pint per pound, but I can't be bothered to convert that to metric right now so I won't split hairs about it.

oldbloke said:
You have 4.5ltr, and you want 10 degrees... Um...

Try 125gm
Agreed :thumb:

Latest posts

Back