pellet versus leaf hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone know the ratio of whole leaf hops to pellet hops?
i see hop pellets for sale but am unsure of how much can be used, if a recipe calls for 20g whole leaf hops for example.
also are there benefits of pellet useage against leaf?
hope this isnt a daft question, sometimes easier to ask people with hands on experience rather than take in the sellers blurb.
am writing this with a brew bubbling away in the dining room, and its loud, rythmical, and its annoying the wife,
25lt of jennings cocker hoop, never made it before but seems to be going well
apologies if this subject has been covered before.

critch said:
acording to our hop factors its 10% better efficiency for pellet over whole hop flower

This sounds reasonable as for T-90 type pellets (most found on market) 90kg pellets is made of 100kg whole hop flowers.

Pellet hops have a higher concentrate of alpha acid being that they are freeze dried and heavily compressed. Leaf hops are good to use, but you'll need a bit more to get your desired AA out of them.

Most brewers I know use pellet hops because they are easier to measure and handle. The brewers I know who use whole hops do so because pellets clog their systems. Whole hops act as a really good filter while running off into the fermenter. If you get a lot of clogs or are getting a lot of trub in the fermenter you might want to consider trying whole hops.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497489,-120.853009

artiums_enteri said:
Pellet hops have a higher concentrate of alpha acid being that they are freeze dried and heavily compressed. Leaf hops are good to use, but you'll need a bit more to get your desired AA out of them.

Most brewers I know use pellet hops because they are easier to measure and handle. The brewers I know who use whole hops do so because pellets clog their systems. Whole hops act as a really good filter while running off into the fermenter. If you get a lot of clogs or are getting a lot of trub in the fermenter you might want to consider trying whole hops.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497489,-120.853009

Most of us UK brewers use leaf hops as that's what is easily available, pellets aren't as widespread over here.

Back