Brupaks - Brewers Choice - German Pilsner Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
This is a premium quality 'No Boil' beer kit comprising 2Kg of light dry malt extract, and a couple of sachets of pre isomerised hop pellets (Hallertau Hersbrucker), a couple of sachets of grains (crushed crystal malts) and a genuine lager yeast (Brewferm 12g sachet). I got mine from The Home Brew Shop for £35.60 including a Kilo of Extra Light DME and delivery, so compared to my usual All Grain quite a bit more expensive in terms of Price per pint.

Marketing Blurb said:
The Brewers Choice German Pils makes 40 pints of beer the way you want it made. You have 3 choices to make the beer depending on style and cost. 1) Use 1kg sugar for a light-bodied beer with a pronounced hop character. 2) Use 1kg of Extra Light Dried malt Extract ( Spraymalt ) This will produce a beer with more body and a maltier profile, hops are still in evidence.3) Use 1.5kg of Brupaks Pale Malt Extract This method produces a truly commercial quality beer with a fuller body and a higher alcohol content. This choice may darken the beer slightly.

The Kit instructions are adequate, especially if you make it 'no boil' as they say, there are two things to perhaps be aware off, it is easier to dissolve DME if you use cold water, so putting 10L of cold water into the FV and whisking the DME in while the 'Tea Bags' are steeping is a good idea. Rather than doing it the other way round as suggested in the instructions. The second thing is that if you are using the supplied lager yeast ideally you need to be fermenting no warmer than 15-16C rather than the 18-20C as specified.

My Brewday can be found here, and I'll be adding to that and this review as time goes on.

Latest posts

Back