Oat husks in mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
I am planning to do a wheat beer soon and was wondering should I mash the oat husks or add them after the mash. I will rinse them out with some boiling water before I add them to the mash tun. Just wondering is there a need to mash them at all or do the bits of oats left on the husks need to be converted. I plan on using 5% oat husks in the grain bill.

yeah , oats are to help prevent a stuck mash . When you have a heavy wheat grain bill the wheat because they have no husk can clump together slowing the wort when draining (a stuck mash), adding oats or rice create gaps between the wheat grain , i brew lots of wheats any help just ask

Add to the mash as has been said. The couple of times that I have used them I just bunged them in the mash at the start.

If you were really worried about getting any off tastes from them Isuppose you could add them when you top up with hot water to mash out if batch sparging or later on if fly sparging. Either way you would need to stir them in and let the grain bed settle again.

Cheers for replies. I will probably put them in with the mash as I could forget to put them in before the sparge :D

Back