Nottingham yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31bb3

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've heard Nottingham yeast goes well but just over 12 hours into the starter I'm amazed
te2apamu.jpg

IIRC Nottingham Yeast only needs rehydrating in 100ml of warm water before pitching.

well i just used some LSM not much though thought it would give it a kick start hope it doesnt want to escape the fermenter like Grays did :shock:

I've always understood making starters for dry yeast to not only be unnecessary but also potentially detrimental. The reason being that part of the drying process is to store the yeast cells up with all of the nutrients needed to ferment a beer. If you make a starter, those nutrients and energy are used up on the starter and not as intended on the actual beer.

31bb3 said:
well i just used some LSM not much though thought it would give it a kick start hope it doesnt want to escape the fermenter like Grays did :shock:

Mine is all tamed now in nice little bottles, actually didn't lose that much still got 55L it was all show :lol:

phettebs said:
I've always understood making starters for dry yeast to not only be unnecessary but also potentially detrimental. The reason being that part of the drying process is to store the yeast cells up with all of the nutrients needed to ferment a beer. If you make a starter, those nutrients and energy are used up on the starter and not as intended on the actual beer.

+1 with Baz, dry yeasts are designed to be rehyrated only, not for a starter :nono:

Good Ed said:
phettebs said:

+1 with Baz, dry yeasts are designed to be rehyrated only, not for a starter :nono:

Well, that answers the question that I was just about to ask... but leads to another question... :)

Given that the yeast will have used up all the "nutrients" is it ok to re-use a dry yeast? (wash and bottle?)

I've reused it in a pinch and it worked fine. But since it's so much cheaper than liquid yeast, I tend to just pitch a new packet each time.

Liquid yeast, I absolutely reuse.

Latest posts

Back