Shopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukehgriffiths

Reaction score
I am about to place a doing order for a couple of brews using Christmas money from various family members :D
Going to Murphys and Son in Nottingham as it is near work and can collect for free.
Was thinking of this list of stuff... Opinions valued on omissions recommendations.
10 kg Maris Otter
1 kg crystal (maybe more)
1kg chocolate (maybe more)
(also considering roasted barley and mild ale malt)

Hops
250g bitter hops (magnum, Calena, Target or Summit)
100g Progress, willamette or fuggles
100g Goldings or Liberty

Yeast I will continue to reclaim from bottles I think... Cheap and tasty.

Any suggestions our recommendations

work out the next 2 or 3 brews you want to make and have a look at what ingredients will be needed. I'll be placing an order soon for 25kg MO, 1kg crystal, 1kg torrified wheat, some choc, and a couple more hops.

LeedsBrewer said:
work out the next 2 or 3 brews you want to make and have a look at what ingredients will be needed. I'll be placing an order soon for 25kg MO, 1kg crystal, 1kg torrified wheat, some choc, and a couple more hops.

I would go with this advice ^

get a 25kg sack of Marris as it will work out cheaper in the longer run.

True 25kg of MO would be good for 5 or 6 brews...
I trend to brew recipes on instinct smell of grain etc considered trying a mild but know maris otter is the best... Like dark porters hence the chocolate, crystal and malted barley (that I haven't tried yet).
Hops confuse me a bit at the mo I understand the bitterness aroma thing but it is hard to go on descriptions on websites.
Will look at costs of big sacks end decide according to budget.

i also went for the 25kg sack etc-two brews and it will be finished and a sad day :( i learned its better to over buy the spec malts and hops u need as they keep really well in the freezer and its easy to run out of them (its gonna be a close call)- btw i would choose goldings over liberty, liberty tastes too lagery for my liking and really like fuggles hops- incidentally the two pair together really well, i would aslo add some spec malts eg munich, carapils, special b as they really can add some flexibility to recipes, also see if any of the bittering hops or could be used to add aroma as well, sometimes can be a nice bonus- also i would recommend adding some styrian goldings hops eg bobek, have a very distinctive tasty aroma

also a packet of s-04 etc is handy just incase a brew doesnt take off or dont have time to make a starter up

Latest posts

Back