Protafloc tabs - why so big?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they make protafloc tablets so big? It's safe to say most brewers brew a 5 gal length, which at about 4% means you have to use 1/4 of a tablet. It's very annoying. Why can't they just make them a quarter of the size?

Moan over. :D

Because they are designed for breweries not homebrewers. As homebrewers we are in a brilliant situation where we can get hold of pretty much everything that professional breweries use. To put up with having to quarter a tablet every 4th brew doesn't seem to bad, surely?

Rob

borischarlton said:
Because they are designed for breweries not homebrewers. As homebrewers we are in a brilliant situation where we can get hold of pretty much everything that professional breweries use. To put up with having to quarter a tablet every 4th brew doesn't seem to bad, surely?

Rob

Hehe! Cheers Rob. I knew there would be a voice of reason. I didn't realise they were a commercial brewery product and as such I will quit my whining and be thankful we can get such decent ingredients :thumb:. Especially when we get them from The Malt Miller :cheers:

I think I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

does size matter on a protofloc tablet for a 23 litre brew ? Apart from cost saving. I usually just bung a tablet in...

piddledribble said:
does size matter on a protofloc tablet for a 23 litre brew ? Apart from cost saving. I usually just bung a tablet in...
I chuck a whole tablet in, should i be using less?

BrotherMalice said:
Yup, whole thing for me too :)
Maybe its not to critical then,. :?
I did have a brew where I used a whole tablet and irish moss, that cleared well but had big cauliflower lumps in it, no real problem but the consensus was that I had over done it. :) Beer was fine though :D
Its not to hard to mark them both sides with a stanley knife, then "cut" them like a pill cutter does.
S

I normally put in half for a 5 gallon brew.

Well, when I say half, it's more like 1/3 as the tablet normally explodes whenever I try to cut it and I end up with 2 * 1/3 pieces, and a load of dust.

The Goatreich said:
I normally put in half for a 5 gallon brew.

Well, when I say half, it's more like 1/3 as the tablet normally explodes whenever I try to cut it and I end up with 2 * 1/3 pieces, and a load of dust.

That's what I was initially musing and getting annoyed about! :rofl:

Its not to hard to mark them both sides with a stanley knife, then "cut" them like a pill cutter does.

I didn't say it was hard to do. Like a lot of folks I got my original knowledge of home brewing from Craig off Youtube, when he did his initial all grain video...he plonked in a full tablet. No-one has ever told me different.
I have noticed with using a full tablet the proteins form into big " cauliflower " pieces in the wort is that good or bad I've been thinking its good and would settle out better...

Hehe! You're right. I'll definitely employ the Stanley knife trick.

My initial whinging was only on the assumption that "they" had created a home brewing product that was ill thought out. Turns out it's not a home brewing specific product, so the joke's on me :lol:

piddledribble said:
the proteins form into big " cauliflower " pieces in the wort is that good or bad I've been thinking its good and would settle out better...

This is what I got Pid when I over dosed, they sort of floated, probably didn't leave it long enough to settle cos I paniced but think they dropped as I syphoned. :oops: :) :lol:
My readings tell me that if you over do it, (recommendation 1 tablet to 80 litres or so,) the settled stuff is loose and easily disturbed instead of compacting ;)
S

Yes I get quite a lot of the lumps go through to the FV but they always drop out during fermentation and have never caused me any problem apart from looking unsightly. What " flavours " they may impart into the brew I don't know. Hovever I shall revert to my Yorkshire upbringing and cut tablets in half thereby making them last twice as long... :D

piddledribble said:
Yes I get quite a lot of the lumps go through to the FV but they always drop out during fermentation and have never caused me any problem apart from looking unsightly. What " flavours " they may impart into the brew I don't know. Hovever I shall revert to my Yorkshire upbringing and cut tablets in half thereby making them last twice as long... :D

You can't be 100% Yorkshire Pid or you would cut them into three. :lol:
S

Being a Yorkie does not mean being tight.... thats only if your from Barnsley... Its called being economical.. :D

I put a whole one in 5gal as per the instructions.

Are we all talking about the same size tablet (about 8m diameter, 5mm thick - from memory) ?

Dr Mike said:
Are we all talking about the same size tablet (about 8m diameter, 5mm thick - from memory) ?
What instuctions are they Doc ?
Thats the size I know, assuming that is a typo. :lol:

S

Sticker on the packet I got (from The Home Brew Shop Aldershot) says use 1 in 5 gallons. Having just had a look ay one thery're more like 10mm Dia x 7mm. I did try the 8metre one but it wouldn't fit in my Boiler :lol:

Mine have also gone a couple of months past their expiry date. Does this matter ? My next brew is going to be a golden one so obviously want it to work properly >

According the the instructions I have from Murphys for their protofloc tablets the dosage rate is 1-4g per hectolitre . . . each tablet weights about 2 grams, so you don't need much for a 25L batch . . . . and once you have the cauliflower in the brew you'll never forget it.

There is also a product called whirlfloc going around that I believe has a higher dosage rate, but as I'm still working my way through my 500g of Protofloc I've never had the chance to use it.

Latest posts

Back