Stir Yeast! !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidicanio

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew after two relatively successful lagers, the second being a wilco pilsner which has has made me decide never to by beer from a supermarket again !

My third is a Coopers lager, I've pitched it exactly the same as the first but the yeast has just sat on the top rather than dropping like the first Coopers I did. Approx 24hrs at 20c. I know they use ale yeast but in my previous two lagers the yeast has dropped quickly.

So, I decided to give a quick stir tonight, have I ballsed up my first brew ?

First post on here, without wanting to sound like a sap I've gained a massive amount of knowledge from posts. Thanks to all that have !

I think I'd have given it a stir when pitching. Was there any sign of it doing anything at all?
It's unlikely that a bit of a stir has ballsed it up, but I'd have expected the yeast to do /something/ in 24 hours.
Report back in another 24!

yeast still floating after 24 hrs? I just sprinkle mine on the top, it tends to soak up the beer and within that time there is normally some action (light bubbles or foam), though not massive.

Rousing/stirring this early won't effect the beer at all.

Keep us posted over the next 24hrs.

Do you have any other yeast just in case?

I wouldn't worry about the stir, should be fine! Has fermentation started? If so then just leave it for a few weeks and it'll be fine! If not then you may wanna think about getting some more yeast.

You really should be rehydrating dry yeast. Will stop this happening.

K

The yeast was just sat on top like a thin layer of sediment (only way I could describe it!), nothing much was going on at all.

Regardless, I've checked it today and the brew has gone into overdrive ! I think fermentation has begun.

Thanks for the reassurance.

How do you hydrate yeast before pitching ?.......... just when you think your starting to learn !!!!!

Boil kettle and let cool. Sterilise a cup. Put yeast and 100ml cooled water in cup 15mins before you need it. Drop in brew.

Will take about 24hrs off your lag time.

K

I'll definately rehydrate my yeast next time. Thanks for the tip.
Another reason for a slow start could be a lack of aeration before the yeast was added. A good whisk seems to get the yeast going quicker because yeast needs oxygen, apparently.

I thought it might not of started because the yeast was sat on top of the froth after my vigorous stirring !

I should probably post this separately, but, I've just popped my forest fruits cider into the garden wrapped in a few bags and a towel. With the temps dropping to -5 is this a good idea ?

kev said:
Boil kettle and let cool. Sterilise a cup. Put yeast and 100ml cooled water in cup 15mins before you need it. Drop in brew.

Will take about 24hrs off your lag time.

K

Is this the same for all yeasts including those with nutrients and other stuff in them?

Latest posts

Back