Storage in corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
Hi guys
New to the forum and returning to this great hobby after to long out.
I've bitten the bullet and bought my self several cornies and a larder fridge to turn into a kegerator.
As the fridge will only take four cornies at a time and I have six is it possible to just fill the other two cornies with brews and leave them to condition until I have room in the fridge as I only have the facility to connect the co2 to four at a time

If so can someone advise on what pressure to keep them at without being permanently connected to the co2 and will I have to keep topping them up if the beer absorbers the co2.
Will I then end up with an over carbed beer.

I plan on only brewing real beer no lager.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure ill get there

Marcusp said:
Hi guys
New to the forum and returning to this great hobby after to long out.
I've bitten the bullet and bought my self several cornies and a larder fridge to turn into a kegerator.
As the fridge will only take four cornies at a time and I have six is it possible to just fill the other two cornies with brews and leave them to condition until I have room in the fridge as I only have the facility to connect the co2 to four at a time

If so can someone advise on what pressure to keep them at without being permanently connected to the co2 and will I have to keep topping them up if the beer absorbers the co2.
Will I then end up with an over carbed beer.

I plan on only brewing real beer no lager.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure ill get there
Most of what resides in my cornies is Lager with the odd pale ale and TC now nad then.
I keep two in the kegerator and the other four in the shed at 20psi, running off a gas management board. :thumb:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Yes it can be done, the pressure all depends on how carbonated you like your beers. I gas them to 20psi then remove the gas in connect. I top up to 20psi every 24 hours for a couple of days then leave it. If it becomes over carbed you can open the prv and cover with a clean towel. Leave for 24 hours and the co2 will leave the beer :thumb:

Cheers guys for the advice I can't really afford a gas management at the moment as the mrs would kill me after what I've all ready spent.

I don't like my bitter very gassy so was hoping to carbonate at about 10psi and then keep it topped up at this until its ready to go in the fridge and reduce to serving pressure if that sounds ok.
Wasn't sure if I could just keep topping up the psi without being permanently connected but sounds like it should be ok

As long as you make sure the headspace in the keg is well purged so there's no oxygen in there it doesn't matter too much what psi you store at, as long as you make sure there is a positive pressure on the inside.

Like you I have some cornies and whilst I have a gas managemenent board and a big bottle of C02, its empty and haven't got round to refilling. I've tried using cornies before without gas and you need the positive pressure to keep the lid sealed otherwise it could become oxidised. If kept warmish they can hold the pressure till about being drunk halfway. I am tempted to get some of the red seals that seal at a lesser presure ie aprox 1o psi you could do this and then swap the lid back round to the black seals that hold higher pressure when you move it back to the keggerator

Marcusp said:
Cheers guys for the advice I can't really afford a gas management at the moment as the mrs would kill me after what I've all ready spent.

I don't like my bitter very gassy so was hoping to carbonate at about 10psi and then keep it topped up at this until its ready to go in the fridge and reduce to serving pressure if that sounds ok.
Wasn't sure if I could just keep topping up the psi without being permanently connected but sounds like it should be ok

I am the same - Its not the best practice, but I purge and seal the corny at 20 psi and then leave it alone until it gets connected up in the kegerator ( at around 4psi ) - I generally find a full keg will have dropped to this pressure by the time I come to use it.

I have had a couple where the seal has clearly gone and the pressure has dropped - but you still have an air pressure which is purely made up of CO2 so your beer is safe :thumb: It just then takes a few days to carbonate once it's been connected up

I have an Imperial Russian Stout that's been in a corny for over two years :eek:
It's only been topped up with gas about 3 or 4 times and that's when several pints get drawn off quickly.
....and yes, it really is perfectly drinkable but is totally different to the bottled version of the same brew.

Back