Air bubbled in to fermented beer :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy321

Regular.
Reaction score
I got some air in to my fermented beer, I was dropping from FV to bottling bucket from the tap in the FV via a tube and I got distracted and air got in to the tube and bubbled air through the wort for about 5 seconds.

Will it cause any damage or will the yeast quickly use it up when carbing the beer? It's a wheat beer aiming for 3.3 vols of CO2 so a fair amount of DME was used.

What's done is done. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. It's not like you took a whisk and gave it a good frothy stirring. It will be fine.

At the bottling stage, and little O2 should only result in the yeast multiplying a little, so you might get a touch more sediment than normal, but the chances are it will be negligable.

As phettebs said - it'll be fine!

5 seconds! Is that it? You need to chill out and have one of your brews (maybe a bit later, it is only 2pm after all).

jonnymorris said:
5 seconds! Is that it?

Perhaps an over reaction but I'm always careful to keep air away from my beer when bottling, if it was going to be detrimental then I was planning on drinking it ASAP. I have friends coming over for a beer night in a few weeks and could have hidden the other stuff and let them loose on it :party:

What these guys said ^

To be honest I've got a bubble up the tap before into my keg, it's not going anywhere from there, and while I could tell it was different, it certainly wasn't as oxidized as some beers i've had before. I think there is a limit to how much damage it will do if it's just a drab...

and remember, beer is rough and resilient. it'll probably fight through it.

Latest posts

Back