Wine book recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
Swimbo and I have recently started making wines again and all we have at the moment is CJJ Berry's book.
I've ordered Judith Irwins A step by step guide to Home Made Wines but want to know of any other good books which you might recommend, any help much appreciated :thumb:

I have had a few others in the past, but the only one I ever look at now is CJJB's "First Steps".

With that and the interweb, what more do you need?

I have CJJB's First Steps but I rate Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith. It is an excellent book :thumb:

For all the technical details like acid or sugar content look no further than Must by Gerry Fowles. It is just data but very useful when it comes to designing recipes.

Didn't you get rid of a load of DJ's a while back V :hmm: :hmm:

Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith seems to get good feedback. :thumb:

Just Ordered Award Winning Wines by Bill Smith, thanks for the recommendation !

I have already: booze for free by andy hamilton the 2012 UK edition (2013 is the US edition) :thumb:
could do with some more technical detail, great for noobs with over 100 interesting recipes to experiment with :drink:
the recipes are organised by season so great for foraging ingredients :thumb:
I enjoy his sense of humour ( you must read his recipe for prison booze :rofl: )
I also believe he was/is a member here, hi andy thanks for all your help, and for advising me to join this awesome community :cheers:

I already have on order: First steps by CJJB (seems to be highly recommended on most brew sites)

I also have on order: Wine Making the Natural Way by Ian Ball (will give some feedback after I read it)

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, I'll be looking into the those books :thumb:
Didn't you get rid of a load of DJ's a while back V
Yup, still got 10 left though :cool:
Got a blackcurrant and raspberry on the go, gooseberry and courgette/marrow ready to go a...what else will be ready at the lotty soon :hmm:

EDIT, decided to get 3 books, Booze for Free which appears to be quite humorous by the reviews, Award winning Wines and Favourite Country Wines and Cordials which was so cheap it'd be rude not too :cool:

so my book "wine making the natural way" has just arrived

so far so good

introduction : a bit of history about country wines

chapter 1: all about health benefits of wine
pages 12-16 list of ingredients and their health or healing properties :thumb:

chapter 2: is 4 pages of basic principals (acid, flavour, sugar, nutrient, tannin, water, yeast, alcohol)

chapter 3: Equiptment (don't need to explain this lol)

chapter 4: safety and cleanliness

oh sod it, photos of the cover & contents :-)

aAotePX.jpg

lKWe0Kw.jpg

j8JjB0S.jpg

176 pages, about half is recipes, I think I will enjoy reading this book :-)

well I have now given away my copy of CJJB but i have kept my copy of booze for free :D

winemaking the natural way by ian ball will be my default reference in future.

very simple, all natural ingredients, this is just how I want to make all my country wines !

All books now delivered, swimbo likes the ones with pictures :roll: I like the Bill Smith book 'Award Winning Wines' as you can really get your teeth into it, though it's a bit techy for MrsV1.
winemaking the natural way by ian ball will be my default reference in future.
very simple, all natural ingredients, this is just how I want to make all my country wines !
Might have a look at that next month g, sounds interesting :cool:

Latest posts

Back