Another attempt at cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzlater

Reaction score
Last year I made a cider, that turned out pretty bad.
I used wine yeast and didn't really have a plan.
I still have one bottle I am going to crack open next weekend when my brother comes for a visit.
I decided to give it another try this year.
I took 3 gallons of grocery store juice and fermented it with SO4.
After 2 weeks I transferred it to a carboy and added some French oak chips that I soaked in Bourben. (I also added the bourbon).
I was surprised at how clear it was. The stuff I did with the wine yeast never really cleared.
Left with a nice yeast cake in the bucket, I decided to pitch another batch on the yeast cake.
This time I made a strong tea using 12 tea bags, 1 lb of dark brown sugar and about 1/2 cup of molassas.
Added the "tea" to four gallons of juice, and dumped it on the yeast from the previous batch.
It's fermenting like mad.
Here is a picture of the sample.

Hi dzlater sorry to here about your first cider attempt. May I offer three bits of advice regarding making cider.

Firstly don't add any sugar. Sugar is a flavour dilutent and you will upset the delicate flavour in the apple juice.

Secondly I personally wouldn't use an ale yeast. My adage is ale yeast foe ale, wine yeast for wine and cider yeast for cider, however cider yeast is usually a champagne yeast.

Thirdly supermarket apple juice is not made from cider apple varieties, but desert apples. In order to make them more a kin to a cider apple you need to add tanin (which you have done though 1 tsp of tannin powder per gallon is far better than tea) and malic acid. now I am a fan of Malolactic fermentation to produce a scrumpy cider, not everyones cup of tea i know. However even if you are not going down the scrumpy route you still need some malic acid . I suggest 1 tsp per gallon.

Finally time give it time to mature in bulk 2-3 months and in the bottle another 2-3 months or more. It makes a world of difference. :thumb:

Thanks for the tips.
I'm a bit confused about the whole malic acid/ malolactic fermentation.
Does just adding malic acid make the cider taste like it's been through a malolactic ferment?
Sort of like adding lactic acid to fake a sour beer feremnt?
Someone told you add the malic acid and then add a lacto culture. And the malic acid is like a nutrient for the lacto?

:?

dzlater said:
Thanks for the tips.
I'm a bit confused about the whole malic acid/ malolactic fermentation.
Does just adding malic acid make the cider taste like it's been through a malolactic ferment?
Sort of like adding lactic acid to fake a sour beer feremnt?
Someone told you add the malic acid and then add a lacto culture. And the malic acid is like a nutrient for the lacto?

:?

Just adding malic will just make it more acid.
You also need a yeast that carries the lactobacillus, or any yeast plus a separate lactobacillus culture.
The yeast in Old Rose carries the lactobacillus.
Many homebrew shops stock the cultures.
The lactobacillus converts the malic to lactic (reducing overall acidity), plus various tasty byproducts

The first batch I did with the oak cubes turned out really good.
I backsweetened it with some AJ, kegged it and then bottled from the keg after it was carbonated.
A friend of mine who drinks alot of cider gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
The second batch I kegged yesterday I plan on doing the same thing backsweeten , carbonate and then bottle.

Latest posts

Back