Steam oven.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
So the wife wants a new kitchen and been out looking at a few today. My interest increased when we shown a steam oven :hmm: could I use this to sterilise various bits I use for harvesting yeast etc. Pressure cookers are highly recommended for this purpose so are these ovens much different.

steam is hotter than boiling so it will kill any nasty things for sure :thumb:

What it won't have is pressure, you pressure cooker will have steam at 120c under 16psi which is why it will sterilise in 20 minutes and things like wort in a flask or slants will not boil at that pressure.

The steam oven will sterilise equipment eventually but not efficiently. Do not attempt to sterilise wort or slants, from experience it is a good way to get yourself banned from the kitchen.

Some time ago i used to eat at a cafe with steam ovens, im sure they were pressurised as the plates went in raw came out and were smothered in gravy and were on the table in minutes. grand scoff as long as u didnt look at the plates before treated with the gravy the chops etc always looked anemic....

Fil said:
Some time ago i used to eat at a cafe with steam ovens, im sure they were pressurised as the plates went in raw came out and were smothered in gravy and were on the table in minutes. grand scoff as long as u didnt look at the plates before treated with the gravy the chops etc always looked anemic....

That doesn't mean the steam cleaning was under significant pressure, sanitisation and cleaning is very different from sterilisation.

To sterilise under required pressure at oven capacity, labs use autoclaves which cost $$$$$

The oven is a great idea for sanitisation e.g. Bottles and may sterilise if left long enough, but is not an alternative to your pressure cooker.

Latest posts

Back