research ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

Being a begineer I thought I'd get some research done tonight. I have old speckeled hen, hob goblin and fullers esb.

Just writing this as a quick thought wondering if anyone could highlight any particular qualities in these beers for me to try and pick out when drinking? And what is it that has brought out those characteristics ie, malts used, hops used and when etc.. It would be really useful to me if anyone has any info on these beers.

Thanks

Rob

Had a better idea. I 'm reading reviews while drinking, there are loads out there with good information. What a pleasant evening this is, old speckled hen up first - love it!

Hope you have a good evening robsan :cheers:

Although, by the sound of it, you're already having one :drunk:

I respect your choice of ales though :drink:

thanks,
I've drunk these ale for many years and love them but I guess I didnt really know why! Tonight is all about really pulling them apart and working out what it is that makes them so good and why I enjoy about them. Really savouring this speckled hen! The finish really gets me anticipating the next mouthfull!

just though I'd mention that a fine mature cheddar is fantastic with this ale!!! Cornish cruncher - yeah :party:

hob goblin up now! before reading other reviews I'm going to attempt my own and then see what others have to say.

Could be that I've got a cold but cant get much nose out of it. Just about getting a slight treacly smell

quite smooth and refreshing for being a darkish ale. There are some really floral hops in there but not overpowering at all. Similar to the badger golden glory but less intense (can anyone tell me what that is???)
Liquourish sweet tones in there. The finish on those hops is balanced very delicatly becoming a nice soft bitter end.

Is it just my imagination, based on the fact that I'm now brewing some seriously nice AG stuff (if I say so myself), or does Hobgoblin now seem to lack body compared to what it was only a year or two ago?

I was thinking the same Moley but just put it down to the fact my beers are chewy! :rofl:

well i started with a speckeled hen now on hobgoblin and maybe its just the difference but it seems to have good body to me. Talking about chew it reminds me of a slight tobaccoy taste.
....Actually I'm at the end of the bottle now and i reckon its hard to say because my mouth is overwhelmed by the sweetness and that chew is probably just the sugar coated to my mouth.

hob goblin down, fullers esb up next.. . . then probably a walk to the shop to get something else :drink:

wow, quite a contrast. The hob goblin followed by fullers esb. To be honest the first couple of mouthfulls werent as enjoyable as they should have been. Iam attributing this to the the change from hob goblin and the fact that the beer was far to cold. Now that it has warmed up a bit and the hob goblin sweetness has gone i am now appreciating it a lot more.

apples, is the word i would use to describe this beer.

Back