AG8 Simcoe Smash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobyipa

Landlord.
Reaction score
5.5kg maris 100.00 %
10g Simcoe [13.00 %] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.2 IBU
60 min boil
5g Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
10g Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
25g Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
25g Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min)
20g simcoe [13%] 0 min
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
Dry hop50g Simcoe

749f.png
[/URL]

uhhm...

- 50/40 min additions are quite pointless, they just bitter but you dont get full efficiency out of them. instead use a single 60 min addition (or single FWH) for the majority of your and don't add anything else until at least 30 minutes, I would go 20 mins myself.

- your 20 min and 15 min aroma steep hops? they will add IBUs if added at that point, or are these meant to be 0 min? either way, you will want to add some more hops around the 10 - 0 minute mark for the aroma and flavour of the hop to come through in the beer.

- anywhere up to 100g dry hops is usual for very hoppy IPA type beers. 50 is a good amount for a palatable flavour imo...

hope that helps!

RobWalker said:
uhhm...

- 50/40 min additions are quite pointless, they just bitter but you dont get full efficiency out of them. instead use a single 60 min addition (or single FWH) for the majority of your and don't add anything else until at least 30 minutes, I would go 20 mins myself.

- your 20 min and 15 min aroma steep hops? they will add IBUs if added at that point, or are these meant to be 0 min? either way, you will want to add some more hops around the 10 - 0 minute mark for the aroma and flavour of the hop to come through in the beer.

- anywhere up to 100g dry hops is usual for very hoppy IPA type beers. 50 is a good amount for a palatable flavour imo...

hope that helps!
thanks edited

Mashing in new mash paddle totally fantastic no chance of dough balls
Mashed in at 66 cent after a bit more stirring and adding a bit o cold

[youtube:26lefp7d]27OKtcM_8mg[/youtube:26lefp7d]

just got over 20 litres into the fermenter
SG 1.064

[youtube:30ewm9xf]x-IpKD0TySs[/youtube:30ewm9xf]

fwlc.jpg
[/URL]
21n0.jpg
[/URL

looks and smells amazing just put into secondary
only got just under 20 litres of it the boil off was massive lost loads on this one
leaving lid off completely did this i think
leaving it slightly ajar next time
been at a constant 1.008
for 2 days now
dry hopped with 100 gram simcoe whole hop for week or so
OG 1.064
FG 1.008
7.4%
thats what you get when a planned 30 + litre brew ends up under 20 litre
agh well another strong beer
:drink:
Yesterdays brew fursty ferret clone sort of is more like it
got
SG 1.042 and 36 litres

well prior to bottling managed to get proper FG used me reading glasses this time :roll:
So not 7.4 FG
OG 1.064
FG 1.012
6.9%
Bottled
13 x 330 ml
1 liter pet bottle
27 500 ml bottles
tad over 18 litres

Update
great simple beer to make
didn't come cheap though all them hops and losses
about 10 bob a bottle
the aroma is amazing
:thumb:

quote....

about 10 bob a bottle

50 new pence per bottle...... hold on there love your going a bit extravagant for a Yorkshireman. You will be giving us a bad name with the Essex boys....

piddledribble said:
quote....

about 10 bob a bottle

50 new pence per bottle...... hold on there love your going a bit extravagant for a Yorkshireman. You will be giving us a bad name with the Essex boys....
didn't mean to :oops:
beer gods nicked loads
:lol:

piddledribble said:
:lol: :lol:

Following an idea I read on here, I have just brewed a Simcoe single hop but used 300g :whistle: It will be right up your street PD :lol:

Latest posts

Back