bulldog easter brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr maestro

Reaction score
anyone else trying this? usual bulldog kit, I set mine off Monday tea-time and it was bubbling like fury next morning! very chocolatey smell when opened. still bubbling well to-day (Wednesday) and shall add hop bag Saturday and hopefully bottle thursday

Hi Mr Maestro, I've just made mine an hour ago & your right it has a very nice smell of chocolate, in fact my daughter thought i was making her a hot chocolate as the smell is all around my flat. i can't wait for this one, :cheers:

Mine has been in the bottle 12 days now had a taste last night carbed up ok tastes really nice good choc taste but not over powering brewed primary for 14 days at 20c secondary for 4 days bottled with 1tsp sugar worked out at 5.7abv you wont be disappointed with this one I'm certainly not

Just finished bottling mine up today, managed to get 45 bottles out of this batch. When I opened the fermenter lid there was a fantastic chocolate, roast coffee smell, really nice. However it didn't look as dark as other stouts I've made or even tried in pubs, looks more like a porter. This came in at 5.9%, so they've all been put to bed for a few months to condition. :party:

Just bottled mine today, got to say its very over powering with chocolate. hopefully it will mellow out with time, if not its very nice mixed with coopers stout as i mixed my sample with it.

Anyone tasted this yet? Is it anything like a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout or Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout (which is what I'm looking for)?

I want to try one but I still have about 30 bottles of a Chocolate Stout I cobbled together using a Black Rock Stout kit, some chocolate malt, some treacle, and a bar of LIDL 70% chocolate, and some filter coffee (various ideas picked up from forums) and using Jaggery as the sugar - turned out really nice but no real Chocolate taste to it, more like licorice.

Just bottled this today. Decided to bottle prime rather than batch prime and think I may have over primed. If I'd batch primed I'd have gone for 70g. I did 20 bottles at 5g per bottle and then the rest at 2.5g per bottle. Are the first lot going to be over carbed for this style?

So day 18 in FV was going to bottle this weekend but tonight looks like this has had a second wind will chuck the hydrometer in tomorrow and saturday then bottle Sunday looks n smells lovely should be a new year one this!!!

not good...day 29 took the gravity over the weekend and its 1020!!!! just become a dad 5 weeks ago so i have to fit stuff in when i can and i planned on bottling but not at that FG!!!

Any ideas??? It seems to have got cold so ive moved into the warm in the hope of kick starting it!!

Mine seemed to stuck at 1020 too, but managed to get it down to 1016 at the end. Will be bottling in few days (as it doesnt want to go down any more) and hope for no suprises..

1016 is what I'm aiming for that will be fine I did a St Peter's kit and it did the same , I've given mine a stir and moved to the warm and added a teaspoon of sugar in water to it, lid is definitely buldging up more today so hopefully it's done the trick!!!

Was going to do 1 x coopers carb drop per 500ml bottle , they don't carb up great so should be perfect for this style also I've got some left!!!!

Anyone actually finished and drunk this kit yet?I've got one on its way to me now...

wasn't keen at first; very chocolaty and a bit fizzy! after being in the shed for several months, it's a lot more drinkable :drink:

Well I think of the Yule brew and this one I have at the mo I'll be doing this first. Sounds like I'd better keep my fingers crossed!
How did you choose to add the hop pellets?
Cheers

Back