American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like its Razorback cousin, I would leave it a bit longer before you put the hops in. I left it in my fermenter for a lot longer than specified, choosing to add the hops in nearer the end of the second week.
I brewed this a month or two ago and all the bottles are gone. My mates loved it and would try and swap me bought beer for it haha

No apologies for bumping this up,still the best kit I've done,thought by now it would've taken off like a rocket :electric:
Superb beer,I have a another kit waiting.
Bye :thumb:

I've seen this kit a few times now, and what caught my eye was that it's supposed to be similar to Doom Bar....could you compare the two? Was thinking of picking this kit up after I've done my cerveza :razz:

If it's like Doom Bar I'm definitely interested.
I was a clueless lager lout for 30 years until I accidentally picked up a box of Doom Bar in Tesco thinking it was a new lager to try. I was fuming when I poured the first 1 realising it was some awful bloody ale :doh: until I tried it!! Haven't bought a lager since.
I have the American IPA brewing now and should be ready to bottle in the next day or so, I've read good things about it so I'm looking forward to giving it a go

Sorry guys,I haven't even tried Doom Bar! :oops:
Might have to now though.All the Young's kits are good,I'm drinking the IPA at the moment,it's hoppy and I didn't even put all the hops in,the Pale Ale is good also but imo the Amber tops the lot.
You won't be disappointed if you do this kit.

It's only what I've read on a website, so as with me, take it with a pinch of salt. I'd be very interested to know though if it has any similarities as I do love a nice pint of Doom every now and then.

It's a fantastic pint, one of my favourites for sure, and I'd love to get a brew on that is similar to it....just need to get my Wherry out of the FV next week and in to my pressure barrel. I only got my homebrew kit for Christmas, and already I've started planning ahead what I want to brew haha. Have my brain tinkering with the idea of a chocolate and vanilla stout, after watching an aussie chap brew one on YouTube, looked fantastic. What have you brewed so far mate?

@pms67 you're doing yourself an injustice! My old man and myself both enjoy a good session on Doom when we can get together, I believe they're doing it in WSpoons at the moment...though I don't know if that's regionally or across the country. If you've a spare minute I'd suggest going for a swift one to check it out and report back....for the public interest of course :wink: :drink:

I prefer the lighter ales, I'm currently brewing the American IPA and my next brew will be a St Peters IPA. The only reason I'm doing these is the firm behind Doom Bar (Sharps) also do a pale ale called Atlantic and it's fantastic,every bit as good if not better than Doom Bar
I haven't been brewing for long so only done a few kits.A couple of St Peters and a couple of Festival and have been amazed that you can actually make something that tastes so good at home
Cheers, Mick

I've seen this kit a few times now, and what caught my eye was that it's supposed to be similar to Doom Bar

Hmm, it's about as far from Doom Bar as you can get: Doom Bar - dark and malty with subtle UK hops, AAA light and very hoppy with full-on US hops. One of the better kits, yes, but nothing like Doom Bar IMHO.

Not really, Rod, thanks to the miracle of reading, you probably know as much as anyone, given that you're interested.

There is a section on the Forum on books and Graham Wheeler's book on making british beers might be of some interest. Commercial beers of the period GW refers to were pretty variable, from what I recall, but if you can get your hands on the book and decide on what takes your fancy, then perhaps we can give you some ideas on what they tasted like and what was good / bad about them.

My understanding is that the Youngs and Festival kits are just kits that involve a bit of dry hopping at the end, no boiling to speak of.

Slid,did I read somewhere you have done this kit ?
Seem to be splitting opinion these Young kits,on a par with Festival or better IMO

Hi pms67

Nope I have done neither a Youngs kit nor a Festival kit.
Now, had I returned to the homebrewing fold, say September 2014, rather than 2013, it could all be different.

I am getting good results from adding hops (and even a few grains most recently) to kits & malt extract, that are available from Wilko and Tesco and that I now buy when they are on sale, basically.

My AAA is conditioning as we speak. The ipa is ready and going down nicely, the second attempt at apa is still fermenting 2.5 weeks later...

My AAA is also conditioning.. I did drink an early sample and all is very positive

malty and the hops are grapefruity.. very very nice CAnnot wait for it to condition more and clear!

If you can lay off this for 3/4 months I highly recommend it! I wasn't thrilled by this initially - I can't put my finger on why.

I've just had one of the last few bottles and everything has come good. The malt and hop flavours seem better balanced, but still those floral, citrus notes you get from new world/American hops.

Much better than Doombar, which I find a little on the bland side for my liking.

If you can lay off this for 3/4 months I highly recommend it! I wasn't thrilled by this initially - I can't put my finger on why.

I've just had one of the last few bottles and everything has come good. The malt and hop flavours seem better balanced, but still those floral, citrus notes you get from new world/American hops.

Much better than Doombar, which I find a little on the bland side for my liking.

I tend to drink a batch over several months anyway as I don't just consume a single batch but several as I like to have a variety.

Doesn't the dry hop diminish by 4 months?

All gone now but truly amazing beer for a kit !
I have just brewed the. Pale Ale and have the IPA waiting.
Don't know if it's the hops or the yeast but my my its the new standard to beat.
(Although I'm supping a Festival Special edition Elderflower ale and it is vey close)
All in all you get what you pay for and the kits for £20 plus are way better than some of the **** you get from the shops (except anything from the Williams Bros but 2 quid per bottle ain't happening)
Amazing hobby
Happy brewing ;-)

I'd love a Midnight sun clone all grain recipe. That has got to be the tastiest beer in the world.

I contacted the Williams Bros (Scott) and they gave me a fair bit of advice on making a Ceaser Augustus clone.
Tastes nothing like it though :oops::lol:
Take from that what you will :thumb:

Scott you say? lets meet and kidnap him and make him tell us everything he knows! Failing that from what i can tell, Midnight sun is an oatmeal stout/porter with a hint of ginger thrown in. But its getting that silky mouthfeel and roasty flavours with that little kick of ginger that wil prove difficult i reckon.:D

They have just brought a new beer out,Hipsway,had it tonight,bland **** !
Hope they don't just churn out anything for a profit but they do have a large range already.
Homebrews better :cheers:

My AAA is okay. The IPA is again okay. Both have slightly off flavours. Only slightly though.
My first attempt at APA resulted in 40 bottles of poison.
The replacement APA. WOW! What a difference. The nicest, smoothest small bubbled brew I"ve ever made. It really is very nice. Better than a lot of pub beers to be honest.
I've bought another IPA to see if I can do better second time round.

Back