Evil dog IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this ha seen conditioning for 4 weeks now. Just cracked the first bottle to sample. Damn it's strong. May be a little too strong.

Mine was about the same 8.5. I like strong belgian beers so I enjoy it. But it's not one I would sit and drink all night. It's like rocket fuel. But a few cheeky glasses of it I found is good. And tastes good.

Was at 17 for 2 weeks. Then bought heater and controller. Now at 20 for 2 weeks. Had a fg of 1006 for the last 3 days so bottling now. If was 1067

Just wondering what controller you bought and where did you get it

So started this last night and my wife was chatting away to me I over filled the FV with water because I stopped filling when I could see the level of water reach 23L but when the bubble settles it took it up to about 25L - what a numpty :sad: not happy.

Also I did a sg reading before pitching the yeast and the reading only came out at 1020 and most peoples kits are say 1070 so I dint understand how an extra 2l water can make the SG drop by that much.

I think I have completely blown this :sad: as the kit didn't say to add any sugar which seemed very strange to me and all other kits I have done have always said include it???? I did add a bag oh Muntons medium spray malt 500g so don't know if this will help.

Have I screwed it up royally or can I rectify it?

Not sure if screwed up. But don't need to add sugar to this kit as the extract bag that comes with it is loaded with it already. I only added sugar when I came to prime it. Not enough experience to say if it's ruined. But might not be a bad thing making it a bit weaker. Mines rocket fuel!! Can tell after a pint of it ive had a drink.

Not sure if screwed up. But don't need to add sugar to this kit as the extract bag that comes with it is loaded with it already. I only added sugar when I came to prime it. Not enough experience to say if it's ruined. But might not be a bad thing making it a bit weaker. Mines rocket fuel!! Can tell after a pint of it ive had a drink.

Cheers Bungle, unsure why SG reading only came out at 1020? dong get it maybe my Hydro reader is faulty? but surely an extra 2 litres would drop it to 1020 from an average of everyone else's 1070......Gutted

Did you rinse all the gunk out of the bag? I always make sure ones it's in I give it a really good stir for a while scraping the bottom of the FV as it settles there. I've realised from a horrendous first attempt some time ago. See how it goes may turn out to be just fine. Test your hydrometer in water. Should read zero if all ok.

If you put all the extract in then 1020 can't be right. I'm guessing the extract wasn't fully mixed in, or the temperature wasn't 20C ish, or both. Or it's a dodgy hydrometer reading. The real OG will be much higher, I'm sure, more like 1060.

Ben, the lads above are right, don't worry. It's a common mistake to take the OG reading too soon, i.e. before the sugars have fully dissolved. I've done it myself (even started a thread about it before double checking ten minutes later and getting the expected 1060). Apologies if I'm wrong but I'm betting that's what you did, possibly not stirring thoroughly enough as well?
As for over diluting, don't worry about that either. I did exactly the same thing when I brewed my ED and it still came out at about 7.5% abv.
You can check it out in this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50343

Thanks guys for the help the extract was warmed up in some water first so I'm happy it was dissolved. I think as a newbie got over excited as when I pitched the yeast it was temp 25 and took reading just before this so temp wasn't low enough to take an SG reading I guess. The mixtures were both mixed well as well.

Well fingers crossed it'll be fine. I did mine as per the instructions and it was kegged after about 10 days. Which having read about it on here seems way to early. But mine turned out lovely.

Max temp for pitching yeast was 25 on instructions and temp on 24/26 so maybe I should of waited for the mix to cool down before pitching.

What would happen if I pitched the yeast and the Wort was to high a temperature, would it kill off the yeast or delay it getting to work until it had cooled down?

Fingers crossed

Mine appeared to do nothing for ages and it turns out it was getting towards being to cold. Put a heat belt on and ended up almost to warm. Eventually worked out what I was doing ( first brew was this evil dog for many a year ) and got it about a consistent 22. After about 3 days from lobbing the yeast in. The beer gods were looking down clearly and it all worked out top notch!!

Max temp for pitching yeast was 25 on instructions and temp on 24/26 so maybe I should of waited for the mix to cool down before pitching.

What would happen if I pitched the yeast and the Wort was to high a temperature, would it kill off the yeast or delay it getting to work until it had cooled down?

Fingers crossed

How high are we talking here? Yes you'll kill the yeast if it's too high but for yeast itself, up to about 40C the yeast will thank you as this temp will help it reproduce faster but as a brewer you ideally want your yeast at around 20C. 24/26 is too high as yeast is exothermic when it starts fermenting . Once it gets going you can add on 2-4C. These higher temps can produce off flavours in your beer.

Back