John Palmer Interview - 1st July '15

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggybill

Always learning...
Reaction score
Just posted over at CraigTube:

HBW 187 - John Palmer interview

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyzvzsQRc3g[/ame]

Beware, it's 1:16 long but soooooo much useful information (well, for me at least!). Craig asks a lot of good questions, no-chill, steeping grains, 1 can kits etc. I found it very interesting coming from Mr Palmer himself :D

There's a good bit about diluting brews up (rather than down) that caught my eye (ear?), 'twang' causes etc.

If you already know about DMS pre-cursors etc. it probably won't interest you much... I'd never even heard of the term :oops:

Nice post Baggy, really enjoyed the interview. Great tips on yeast, dried, liquid and washing. The issue I think a lot of people have in boiling high SG wort to dilute to 23L, using distilled water for kits in hard water areas, etc, etc. Its certainly worth a re-watch.

Yes its a good interview infact I havent even finished it yet but its good to hear the guys perspective on things.

He seems to have a lot to say about water quality, my tap water is pretty good and drinkable so I have never thought about it really.

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. I have a lot of time for this guy. His book is a must for most of us. It's full of sound and practical advice for the home brewer. Not only that, he gives it away for free online: http://www.howtobrew.com. That I respect :cheers:

he obviously knows his stuff, but I do wonder how much of what he says is just "that's the way he has done it" rather than it being based on any real fact.

you can see from the ExBEERiments that some "facts" that everyone have sworn blind for 20 or 30 years are real (Hot Side Aeration) are not at all detectable at a home brew level so probably false.

For instance his opinion on yeast - some of the best breweries out there right now use US05 dried yeast, yet he is super sniffy about using dried yeast.

For instance his opinion on yeast - some of the best breweries out there right now use US05 dried yeast, yet he is super sniffy about using dried yeast.

I don't think he was being super sniffy he suggests rehydrating the yeast he doesn't say don't use it.
"there is nothing wrong with using dry yeast providing you treat it correctly and that is rehydrating it before you use it and pitching the proper amount, the correct number of cells"

Don't know if this is legal but I'll rip the audio and listen to it as a podcast. I'll PM Craig and ask if I can share it on the forum.

Latest posts

Back