What's happened to Black Sheep Bitter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiBosco

Reaction score
I used to love Black Sheep Bitter - the 3.8% session beer I mean. It used to be this fabulous malty, delicate flavoursome beer. It's been decreasing in quality for a while now to the point that tonight I had a pint and it had that really unpleasant Greene King aftertaste. It's a much darker beer than it used to be too.

Anyone know whether they've change recipe or cutting corners, using cheaper materials or what? After tonight's dire serving, I'm unlikely to be drinking it again. A terrible shame for something which used to be one of my top three beers.

Production must have expanded enormously. That seems to affect the quality of a lot of beers that start off great.

Yep I would think it's in the production size, possibly a little corner cutting but I agree it's not what it was (Although I tend to only be able to get bottled samples)

Yeah' I agree. I can't offer any explanation as to why, but it used to be one of my favourite draught beers when I lived in Yorkshire but has gone slowly into the 'ordinary' bracket...

Visitted the black sheep brewery 27th June for a Brewery Tour, was camping in Masham that weekend so seemed silly not to visit one of the brewerys there. Had a few pints around Masham before the brewery tour and thought the Theakstons was a better pint than the Black Sheep Best. Nothing wrong with the Black sheep but was just a bit ordinary.

I did sample a 7% stout which can only be purchased there apparently and I do like a pint of their Golden Sheep to be fair !

Glad it's not just me that's noticed it.

IMHO the best session beer now Black Sheep has gone down the pan is Coniston Bluebird which is just gorgeous! Sadly, only to be found in the Lakes though.

If you're ever in North Yorkshire and want to avoid Black Sheep now, try Wensleydale Brewery stuff; they were making some fabulous beers when I was there last year. Makes me want to move up there! :mrgreen:

I tend to buy it in bottles and have had no issues, also the last pint I had was as good as ever so I havent noticed (yet)

Latest posts

Back