AG1 Simcoe SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeymonster

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm well underway on my very first AG brewday!

I've been meaning to do this for ages and reading through clibit's Simple AG post inspired me to get on with it.

I'm using the BIAB method with a mash tun/boiler I built out of a 10 litre Mayo bucket, Asda kettle element and insulated with some shiny foil bubble wrap type packaging. It seems to be working because the mash is holding steady at dead on 66c and had been for about 15mins😀

Tried to keep it nice and simple with a kilo of pale malt, 3g Simcoe @ 60 and another 10g @ 5mins. I'm planing to ferment in another 10l bucket and transfer to a 5l water bottle for secondary.

Fingers crossed it all goes this well!

I'll get some pics up when I get a chance later!

It was all going great, rolling boil, put the first lot of hops in and the realised I'd put the 10g in first instead of the 3:(

It's gonna be more of and IPA than a pale ale!

Wow! That's going to absorb all your body moisture in the first sip! I'd be tempted to boost the SG with some DME or sugar.

Good luck sir!

Or fish some hops out with a sieve?

They were pellets. All gone by the time I realised!

And I don't have any dme.

It's only a small brew so I think I'll see how it turns out and chalk it up to experience.

Plenty malt and hops left so I'll get another brew on next week!

All finished! Into the fermenter and pitched. The house smells amazing after the boil!

I mashed the grains in about 7.2 litres of water @66C for 60 mins. Overall the temp loss over the 60 mins was 1.4 degrees. I'm happy with that for a first attempt! I took the bag out, headed up the wort to approx. 75C and dunked the bag back in and stirred the malt around for a bit as an attempt at a mash out.

Started the boil with 6.8L in the kettle. Boil off was a bit more than expected. I was going by beersmith estimates and was hoping for 4.7L but ended up with under 3L left in the kettle :shock:.

Poured the wort through a sieve lined with voile, same as I used for my bag, to filter out all the hops, into a metal pot. Put the pot into the sink and filed with water, ice and a few frozen water bottles to bring the temp down as quick as possible. Only took about 15mins.

Topped up with water to bring it back up to 4.7L and took OG. Had efficiency set as 65% for my first brew and was expecting an OG of 1.043, and came out with 1.053! According to Beersmith, that puts my measured mash efficiency @ 91.2% :shock: and my total efficiency @ 79.7%. Really happy with those numbers!

Had a wee sample when I was measuring the OG and it smelled and tasted awesome! Really bitter, but really good.

Really looking forward to see how this one turns out!

mash.jpg

boil.jpg

cooling.jpg

Back