Vienna Base Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'd like to try a SMaSH using Vienna as a base malt. Could anyone recommend a hop that would work well with it please? I have Amarillo or Cascade in mind, but open to suggestions.

Thanks.

am doing a 50% vienna base malt golden ale using galaxy hops (pellets)...due to complete fermentation in a couple of days when I will have a taste and report back.

Currently fermenting 100% Vienna with Magnum, Nelson Sauvin & Riwaka. First time I've used Vienna so can't say what works I'm afraid. I just took a punt with it. However I read after I had already brewed that it will produce a bit more unfermentable sugar than pale etc. Some recommendations were to mash a bit lower and use yeast with a high attenuation. With that in mind you may want a decent amount of IBU's so perhaps the higher AA Amarillo.

Not used it but it should give you quite a sweet grainy finish so if go for something with a nice bitterness but plenty of flavour/aroma too, so most dual purpose hops should work ok, cascade and Amarillo both being among my faves. Galaxy is lovely too as tartan mentions. I used green bullet in a brew with some Munich which should be similar and that worked pretty well. I'm actually going to use the same grain bill with Sorachi ace at some point as a lemony sharpness would work well with the sweetness, so that could be an interesting leftfield choice

I'm looking at doing a Vienna Amarillo SMaSH soon. I saw on another thread the lovely orange colour that 100% Vienna gives and thought this would be a good (yet corny) link with the orange flavour characteristics of Amarillo. Plus I have 300g of Amarillo to use up! Will probably be brewing it in the new year.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Mike, yes I did read your recipe thread, which gave me the idea - well, nicked the idea! I'm leaning towards Cascade, mainly because I've never used it and really want to give it a try.

I've jumped on the mini keg band wagon too, which means I can get a couple of brews on over Xmas as I'll have some more beer capacity.

Just ordered some Vienna for this one and some Pilsner for a Mosaic/Citra IPA.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Mike, yes I did read your recipe thread, which gave me the idea - well, nicked the idea! I'm leaning towards Cascade, mainly because I've never used it and really want to give it a try.

I've jumped on the mini keg band wagon too, which means I can get a couple of brews on over Xmas as I'll have some more beer capacity.

Just ordered some Vienna for this one and some Pilsner for a Mosaic/Citra IPA.

I've got my remaining brews for this 'season' sorted (I don't brew between May-sept) but a Pilsner based simcoe/mosaic is on next seasons list already (forward planning). I'll be interested in how that goes. What yeast you thinking of? I'm desperate to give Vermont ale yeast a go and am putting it into some hoppy pales after xmas.

I have used Pilsner before and really liked the results. And Mosaic is my favourite hop so far, so it should be a winning combo.

I'll just go with run-of-the-mill US-05. Not got into liquid yeast yet, it all seems a bit of a faff by comparison. However, I have got a yeast book for Xmas, so that could change. I would like a bit more variety, especially for English type ales.

I have used Pilsner before and really liked the results. And Mosaic is my favourite hop so far, so it should be a winning combo.

I'll just go with run-of-the-mill US-05. Not got into liquid yeast yet, it all seems a bit of a faff by comparison. However, I have got a yeast book for Xmas, so that could change. I would like a bit more variety, especially for English type ales.

I'm getting a yeast book for xmas too, can't remember the author but it's the one called 'yeast'.

Is it the one that's part of the series with malt, hops and water? If so, it's the same one.

I did get an odd look when I asked for a book about water.

Is it the one that's part of the series with malt, hops and water? If so, it's the same one.

I did get an odd look when I asked for a book about water.

Yep that's the one. I get strange looks whatever I ask for.
My mum thought I was joking when I asked for a water report! It's the Murphy and sons one bought through brewuk. She thought I'd gone mad. My sisters buying me loads of hops and I've asked for cool ipa glasses from my sister in law. Brewing as a hobby makes xmas easy for everyone!

am doing a 50% vienna base malt golden ale using galaxy hops (pellets)...due to complete fermentation in a couple of days when I will have a taste and report back.

Its almost finished fermenting..1.016 ..will probably end 1.014. 3kg vienna, 3kg Maris Otter, 0.5kg carapils, 20 grm Magnum bittering 60min and 70grm galaxy split 15/5/0min.
It tastes great..nice citrus notes and not too bitter... even though its not completely done (thats what I like about AG brewing)...so I reckon either amarillo or cascade will be a good choice. My version is quite light bodywise with background maltiness and sweetness form the carapils and has a yellow tint...will have to wait to see if ends up golden. the other half says its urine coloured.:?
Based on this I'll probably have a go at a 100% vienna version. Let us know how yours turns out. I'll post a pic of this brew when bottling.

Sounds like a strong one! Look forward to hearing about how yours turns out.

If I can get a brew on this weekend, then I should be able to do this one while I'm off over new year.

Or buy a 2nd fv....

Looks good, thanks for the update. Should get this brew on sometime next week hopefully.

That brew I made with Galaxy isn't so great. I think 15% Munich was too much. It's still a bit flat, so I'm hoping it will taste a bit better when it's carbed properly.

Latest posts

Back