What's your least favourite thing about brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mine has to be cleaning the propane soot off my big pot. It's filthy dirty stuff, goes everywhere, stains everything, the whole process takes ages and generally reinforces my family's perception that brewing is unpleasant.

Which bit do you hate most and why?

Waiting :lol:

I thought about banning 'waiting' as an answer but then figured it's probably the thing most people like the least!

Funnily enough I don't mind it too much, I can kind of forget about it in between brew day/bottling/sampling.

Mine has to be cleaning the propane soot off my big pot. It's filthy dirty stuff, goes everywhere, stains everything, the whole process takes ages and generally reinforces my family's perception that brewing is unpleasant.

Which bit do you hate most and why?

You haven't got the burn/flame set correctly. You will always get a little soot but if its up the side of your pot, its not set correctly. Check the air intake manifold is set correctly. HTH

If brewdog sees said cat. He is intrigued by her and wants to sniff/stroke her. Which cat isn't too keen on. So the dog chasing the cat as I'm trying to move bags of hot grain about juggle hops is a factor I could do without ideally.

If brewdog sees said cat. He is intrigued by her and wants to sniff/stroke her. Which cat isn't too keen on. So the dog chasing the cat as I'm trying to move bags of hot grain about juggle hops is a factor I could do without ideally.

Keep the cat and i will collect Brewdog tomorrow:grin:

You haven't got the burn/flame set correctly. You will always get a little soot but if its up the side of your pot, its not set correctly. Check the air intake manifold is set correctly. HTH

Ah, thanks. Is that the bit where the gas hose joins the burner? How should it be set? As you can see I'm clueless at this sort of thing

What gas are you using Gareth

Propane (which I can't help but say like Hank from King of the hill).

Prompted by Jonny I've just done some research and indeed it burns bright orange and very sooty. Air intake and/or amount of propane going from tank to burner seem to be the problem and I do open it right out. Will have a fiddle with it and see if I can get a bluer flame.

Latest posts

Back