Adding Orange Peel & Coriander to Wheat Beer Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaddapo

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently bought a few bottles of Blue Moon Wheat Beer in the local Off Licence Shop and have to say I was blown away by the wonderful flavour of the beer. I did a bit of reading up on the beer and it seems they add Orange Peel and Coriander to create the amazing flavour. I'm very much a Wheat Beer fan and since starting to home-brew 2 years ago have only done Kit Beers of which I find Munton's Connoisseur Wheat Beer to be about the best.

I am going to do another Muntons Conn. Wheat Beer Kit but want to add Orange Peel & Coriander this time round and see if I can come up with anything like Blue Moon. I've sourced the quantities of both to be added but am wondering how does one add such ingredients to a Kit beer. Do you just grate the peel of an Orange and crush some coriander and throw in at some stage too. I have two questions:

How do you sterilise the Orange Peel and Coriander to ensure it doesn't infect the beer?

At what stage in Kit Brewing do you add these.

Thanks for your help guys.
Regards
Don
Tipperary

I would expect the brewer to add these into the copper, ie. at a similar time to adding hops. That would be okay for sterilisation due to the heat.

If you add the orange peel later, then it is likely to have a negative effect on the foam, ie. a poor, flat head.

I've had a quick look at Munton's website for instructions and they mention adding hot water to the extract. I'd be inclined to put your orange peel and coriander into this water, but before you heat it.

That way you will extract the flavour compounds but flash-off the orange oil (which is what will kill the head) and bringing the water to a good boil will sterilise the additions.

Then pour the hot water in through a sieve to take out the bits.

Just my two penn'orth..:)

Can't really add anything to the orange peel question - I've never used it.

I have used corriander in a recent Belgian special ale - it was an AG.
My recipe said to add the crushed corriander seed to the last 5 mins of the boil.

You could prepare your kit as per the instructions; remove a couple of pints of wort and then boil the corriander seed for 5 mins.....add this back to the fermenter through a sieve.

Thanks guys

Can I ask when you are brewing AG and you add such ingredients like Coriander or Orange Peel or any other ingredients, do you leave these ingredients in throughout the primary fermentation until bubbling has stopped or are these ingredients just added for a few hours on day one and then removed.

Should I be looking at leaving these in for the week or two throughout primary fermentation or are such ingredients removed after a short while?

Sorry for my ignorance but I haven't moved on from Kit brewing as yet.

Thanks

Don

Hi Shaddapo.

In all grain brewing, the hop filter and the additional filter bed the hops create on the bottom of the boiler tend to remove anything added to the boil.
So; no, the corriander and peel are not in the FV during fermentation.

ATB

Agree with the last one, but will add that it's also quite common to use a hop bag for corriander seed and whip it out after the end of the boil.
You don't want these flavours to overpower, so adding to the fermenter would be too much in my opinion.
Good luck anyway!

I'm currently fermenting my second wheat beer kit, and all I did was put the corriander seeds (ground with a pestle & mortar) and orange peel in a muslin bag and simmered for about half an hr in about 2 pints of water. Added the sugar to this water, then made up the kit as normal.

The first one I did was absolutely lovely, but possibly a little too orangey for my taste. This time I've upped the corriander and lowered the orange peel, fingers crossed!!

This sounds interesting... even though ive got to learn to walk before i can run...

I would love to make an ale similar to the Mordue - Coriander 1879

yumyum...

Hi guys, first post, so be gentle. Plus, know this is an ooooold thread!

How did this brew go Shaddapo?

I'm looking to do the same thing, for my second ever brew with a lager kit and add Coriander and Lemongrass.

Guess that would add some of the kit to boiling water and pestle/mortar 30g of coriander and sieve to the primary fermenter then add 90g of bashed up lemongrass to the secondary keeping it in a muslin bag with something to weigh it down. This sound mad or like it might just work?!

welcome to the forum , it may work . wrap the seeds in a tea towel and use a rolling pin to crack the seeds not crush to dust . :thumb:

I made a wit a few months back and used bitter orange peel and coriander seeds in the boil. Tastes amazing and is probably one of the best beers I've made in a long time.

Drink it young to get it at it's best.

K

Pretty sure there's a recipe for this on the Coopers site but for the life of me I can't seem to access it just now.

Brewed an AG version I guess close to Blue Moon. I used orange peel for the last 5 mins of boil and steeped another lot prior to bottling. The yeast I used was Belle Saison added a spicey note to the beer, going very well with the orange hint. Only thing I'd change on my brew would be the step mash, as I'd like a bit more body. Definately one I'd brew again. :cheers:

I brewed a wit beer going back 7 years ago and brewed wheat lager's at 60% wheat, both contained orange peel and coriander seeds. Do not use ordinary peel, it can give a metallic taste. use curaco Peel.

Richard

Bopper said:
I brewed a wit beer going back 7 years ago and brewed wheat lager's at 60% wheat, both contained orange peel and coriander seeds. Do not use ordinary peel, it can give a metallic taste. use curaco Peel.

Richard
Or you can bake normal orange peel , until dry . It will become bitter (which is right ) no metallic taste , but avoid the pip .

Back