BeerCat Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a Helles i kegged a few days ago brewed with Crossmyloof Helles yeast. I am really pleased with this, cleaned up well, no esters and crisp. Only 4%. Excuse the filthy glass.
View attachment 20786
Was the advertised attenuation about right? Think I will give the yeast a go and just trying to decide on mash temperature for a German type Pils.

It's 10% biscuit and pilsner malt. I use floor malted bohemian and a bit of acid malt. RO water 50ppm of chloride and mash at 67c. I go for about 30IBU with Saaz and ferment at 10c. FWH, a 15 minute addition and flamout.
OG around 1040. If you want it stronger reduce the biscuit malt and maybe mash a bit lower.
Thanks, Beercat. I'm going to give this one a go when it gets a bit colder. I'll use MJ Bohemian Pilsner yeast as I've got a couple of sachets.

Was the advertised attenuation about right? Think I will give the yeast a go and just trying to decide on mash temperature for a German type Pils.

Sorry I replied to the wrong post earlier. My notes give 75% attenuation but I tried my first decoction which I didn't have the correct kit to do. If you do a hochkurz mash I am sure it would increase. Beer was crisp and ready to drink in 30days.

Sorry I replied to the wrong post earlier. My notes give 75% attenuation but I tried my first decoction which I didn't have the correct kit to do. If you do a hochkurz mash I am sure it would increase. Beer was crisp and ready to drink in 30days.
Thanks, I've not had issues getting around 1.008 with a 64c mash with most lager yeasts. Have just ordered a pack of the hell yeast (only got one for a 9L batch) and will see how it goes. I've experimented with different mash temps with lagers recently thinking a higher mash temp would increase malt flavours but definitely got a sweeter more full bodied lager than I wanted. Guidelines for a German Pils suggest FG of 1.008 to 1.013. Would you suggest the lower end of that range?

Thanks, I've not had issues getting around 1.008 with a 64c mash with most lager yeasts. Have just ordered a pack of the hell yeast (only got one for a 9L batch) and will see how it goes. I've experimented with different mash temps with lagers recently thinking a higher mash temp would increase malt flavours but definitely got a sweeter more full bodied lager than I wanted. Guidelines for a German Pils suggest FG of 1.008 to 1.013. Would you suggest the lower end of that range?
Most of my beer is between 1040 and 1048 so i don't struggle to get down to 1010 if i mash high or low but i definitely like my lager on the dry side. Even mashing lower than 64c sometimes or 62c for 40 minutes, 68c, for 40 minutes then mashout (hochkurz style mash).
The perceived dryness of the beer is a balance between residual sweetness, bitterness and water profile. Water makes a big difference to these beers imho. Sweetness can also be balanced by increasing carbonation.

I would still make a starter. Can take a while with only 2 packs. Been using the same yeast all year and it's still going strong.
I always rehydrate dried yeast, anyway. MJ recommends this even though pitching direct is sufficient. I always crop the yeasts to use again, too, in spite of MJ insisting the yeast won't tolerate this. Ha- what a money-making racket.
One sachet will suffice for a 5-gallon batch and will have colonised the entire surface well within 12 hours, in my experience.

I always rehydrate dried yeast, anyway. MJ recommends this even though pitching direct is sufficient. I always crop the yeasts to use again, too, in spite of MJ insisting the yeast won't tolerate this. Ha- what a money-making racket.
One sachet will suffice for a 5-gallon batch and will have colonised the entire surface well within 12 hours, in my experience.

You top crop lager yeast or reuse the slurry?

You top crop lager yeast or reuse the slurry?
If I've got no top-cropped yeast and I'm on the point of racking a batch, then I'll use the slurry for a new batch. Force of habit really, I consider slurry to be not as "clean" as top-croppped yeast as it contains dead cells and trub. I have to say, though, that in practice, I haven't noticed much, if any difference.

I have been reusing the same yeast for the last year and the attenuation has gone up. Flavour is the same as far as i can tell. I would of thought it would be contaminated by now but it is fine and i have saved loads of money.
The beer below came out fantastic. Makes a change to traditional German lagers.
Motueka rice lager

80% pilsner
20% flaked rice
mash at 65c,75c
5.2ph
ferment at 10 for the 1st week. fermentation started at 5c.

Hopped with Motueka to about 30IBU with 3 additions, FWH, 15 and flame out. I think i used about 40g for the last addition which packs lots of punch so it could be reduced or you could increase it and dry hop for an IPL. Personally i like it more restrained. Beers is crisp with a dry finish with a malt backbone. Lime and lemon flavour from the hops. Beer is crystal clear, very pale and highly carbonated.

Back