Book recommendations.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm going to get myself a copy of Greg Hughes' book sometime this week. I've heard nothing but good things about it so I'm quite excited about it.

Are there any other books that you'd recommend? I'd quite like to do more research into the sciencey side of things (sciencey is the technical term. I checked with a real science person). I'd like to understand more about what's actually happening during mashing/boiling etc.

Any and all suggestions greatfuly received.

Cheers.

John palmer how to brew is brilliant, graham wheeler how to brew British real ale doesn't go in to as much detail but is ok and has some decent recipes in

The malt/water/hops/yeast series of books are quite good, but fairy heavy going. I'm most of the way through the hops one and it's really interesting.

Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher, I loved it. Very detailed, though not overly science-y. A lot of it is about developing recipes and provides recipes too. All I'd say is I have it on my iPad and there's loads of graphics and pictures so buy a physical copy, I ignored lots of reviews telling me this, wish I hadn't.

Along with Greg Hughes, I'm also a big fan of Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew.

Cheers fellas. Some great stuff there.
Chippy, how have I managed to miss that entire thread? :doh:

I would endorse the yeast book recommendation, tbh i found the water book in the series a bit too technical for me, The malt and hops books are a good read too.
They are aimed at US brewers, but the yeast book is very inspiring and could easily get you keeping your own yeast bank in a sandwich box at the back of the fridge..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0937381969/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back