geterbrewed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not used geterbrewed, can't comment on their service.

However I like the idea of small quants of hops and grain so applaud that initiative (they should all do it) but I have to say I don't think their range is very good compared to other online shops, notably brewuk and the home brew company.

I checked gb's site after reading this thread and they seemed to only have 9 leaf varieties of hops? Very weak offering in my opinion, brewuk has way more.

However I like the idea of small quants of hops and grain so applaud that initiative (they should all do it) but I have to say I don't think their range is very good compared to other online shops, notably brewuk and the home brew company.

I checked gb's site after reading this thread and they seemed to only have 9 leaf varieties of hops? Very weak offering in my opinion, brewuk has way more.

I think they've made a conscious decision to phase out leaf and focus on pellet. Others will go the same way I reckon, especially for non-domestic varieties.

Embrace the pellet!

Yeah I think I prefer pellets too, lose less wort (not that I am that tight for it to be a deal breaker) more efficienct extraction and store much better..

Yeah I've tried both and the pellets cause much less in the way of tap/hop filter blockages!

I don't even do that, just select the filter for pellets and buy from those. Don't even bother looking at leaf.

Me too.

I think it's forumite hoppyland who is an industry insider and posted about how Britain is the only place that really use leaf hops anymore and the vast majority of hops in the world are turned into pellets

Me too.

I think it's forumite hoppyland who is an industry insider and posted about how Britain is the only place that really use leaf hops anymore and the vast majority of hops in the world are turned into pellets

Yes, I read that too. Combined with the underwhelming beer I made with the only time I used leaf has put me off a bit.

I tried to use their craftbrew feature earlier today to see how much it would cost for ingredients to make Brewdog's Arcade Nation. However, I couldn't find Crystal 150 Malt or Caramalt. I'm not sure whether they use a different name for them, I was looking in the wrong place or they simply don't sell those items.

Hopefully Jonathan will be back on here soon and will point me in the right direction.

Steady chaps

My only pellet experience has been rather off putting, I have to say. Though I haven't drunk the beer yet so it may redeem itself on that front.

Process wise I don't really see the advantage at all and my leaf beers have all been great (in my opinion obvs)

If this is the way the homebrew industry is going it's got a long way to go, I think gb are the exception in terms of having a bigger pellet than leaf range.

Whatever, though, each to their own.

Edit: any grainfather owners I'd be interested in your thoughts as I now have one!

I tried to use their craftbrew feature earlier today to see how much it would cost for ingredients to make Brewdog's Arcade Nation. However, I couldn't find Crystal 150 Malt or Caramalt. I'm not sure whether they use a different name for them, I was looking in the wrong place or they simply don't sell those items.

Hopefully Jonathan will be back on here soon and will point me in the right direction.

Coincedently enough I was investigating what caramalt is earlier today;It's just low colour crystal of 30-40 EBC, so Carabelge will probably do the job http://www.geterbrewed.com/carabelge-weyermann/.
Look at the chateau cara vaieties too. They just call them variouse names like caragold but their just crystal malts. The Chateau Crystal is 150 EBC so should be the same thing. If the crystal 150 for your reciepe is 150 EBC rather than lovibond

Coincedently enough I was investigating what caramalt is earlier today;It's just low colour crystal of 30-40 EBC, so Carabelge will probably do the job http://www.geterbrewed.com/carabelge-weyermann/.
Look at the chateau cara vaieties too. They just call them variouse names like caragold but their just crystal malts. The Chateau Crystal is 150 EBC so should be the same thing. If the crystal 150 for your reciepe is 150 EBC rather than lovibond

Thanks for the assistance.

From a newbie perspective, it can get confusing when there are different names for essentially the same ingredients.

On Brewdog's Arcade Nation, it simply says Crystal 150, so it's hard to say whether it's referring to the EBC or lovibond.

Thanks for the assistance.

From a newbie perspective, it can get confusing when there are different names for essentially the same ingredients.

On Brewdog's Arcade Nation, it simply says Crystal 150, so it's hard to say whether it's referring to the EBC or lovibond.

I think it's refering to Lovibond. You could use Special B as that 300 EBC and L is about half EBC

http://www.geterbrewed.com/chateau-special-b/

You can also use carapils instead of caramalt I've discovered

Steady chaps

My only pellet experience has been rather off putting, I have to say. Though I haven't drunk the beer yet so it may redeem itself on that front.

Process wise I don't really see the advantage at all and my leaf beers have all been great (in my opinion obvs)

If this is the way the homebrew industry is going it's got a long way to go, I think gb are the exception in terms of having a bigger pellet than leaf range.

Whatever, though, each to their own.

Edit: any grainfather owners I'd be interested in your thoughts as I now have one!

I use both in my Grainfather. But rather than chance a blocked filter I use cheap tights and make hop "bombs" saves a bit cleaning aswell. Take out and bin after the boil.

Cheers
John

I did this the other day for Santa Paws and couldn't find the beech smoked, although I could find it in the main website. Either they don't do it in the small quantities frontage kit, or I'm a numpty and just can't find it!

It's not an issue because I'm not planning on buying it too late summer anyway.

I wouldn't want the details of the value of my order put online. Tbh. Even if it were 10 quid.

Only constructive criticism I have of geterbrewed is thaat your not supplied with a parcel force tracking number.

As for the rest of it, move on, either cancel your order, or suck it up and pay the delivery. 4.95 for up to 25kg is pretty good in my eyes.

If a company discloses your personal financial information in a public environment that is technically a breach of data protection. Albeit a small one as it involves a single data item. - however that exact amount could be used to spear fish NIMAN if it's possible to obtain his email address.

e.g. dear sir about your geterbrewed order of �£xxx pounds. please open this attachment to receive details of your refund.

this is a very real risk, my company has been under this type of attack for some time, using details scraped off linked-in etc, and the crims have registered a domain name similar to ours with 1 letter difference so it looks like it's come from someone within our own company (spoofing)

hacking attempts have become more sophisticated over the last year or so and anti-virus inveriably doesn't pick up a lot of these zero day exploits.

anyways sorry for going off topic, but never put out a specific piece of info out in public that could be used to defraud you. So niman's quote of an order of hundreds of pounds is vague enough to be ok. Maybe we should have a thread for online safety? - after all we want to keep all our cash to spend on HB :grin:

I was of the impression that our range was extremely competitive and we have a huge range making us the largest supplier in our local industry, we are discontinuing leaf hops as our working direct with hop farmers has led us to adopt their advise and use pellets. We expanded our warehouse to install an additional walk in fridge to cold store all our hops, we have seen massive growth in the sale of hop pellets ahead of the leaf/cones. When visiting the hop farmers in American and Europe during the 2015 harvest they both felt that hop pellets travelled and stored more consistently when pelletised.

Expect better hop utilisation from hop pellets when recipes call for approximately 10% less hop pellets than leaf plus the less surface area of the pellets helps prevent oxidation so they stay fresher for longer too.

During our visits to a few breweries we also got some interesting tips from brewers, I was surprised to hear a few of them are actually crushing their hop pellets especially in the more hop forward style beers, when sampling I have to say the hop profiles in their beers were impressive, so maybe grinding the hop pellets does actually work..

We use hop pellets in our brewery, simply put the brewer finds them easier to measure and they are cheaper to ship and take up less space. Hop pellets are better in the kettle as they don't soak up as much wort too but we still have home brewers who prefer leaf as they find it suits their system better, perhaps the romantic idea of brewing with fresh leaf hops isn't possible due to the fact we don't have them grown locally, the solution....

We have a range of nylon hop bags and we offer new innovative hop tea bags that infuse well without the issues surrounding blocked filters etc, do you guys still use leaf?

Our Craft a Grain Recipe Builder has been upgraded a few times with feedback from customers and I take on board that more info in the grain product name may help, if unsure when designing a recipe drop us an email or select the quantity you need of a grain and add a note in the comment box at checkout, our warehouse staff all brew and know what you'll need if your working from a recipe book

Any other thoughts on what info you guys would like on the product name?

I was of the impression that our range was extremely competitive and we have a huge range making us the largest supplier in our local industry, we are discontinuing leaf hops as our working direct with hop farmers has led us to adopt their advise and use pellets. We expanded our warehouse to install an additional walk in fridge to cold store all our hops, we have seen massive growth in the sale of hop pellets ahead of the leaf/cones. When visiting the hop farmers in American and Europe during the 2015 harvest they both felt that hop pellets travelled and stored more consistently when pelletised.

Expect better hop utilisation from hop pellets when recipes call for approximately 10% less hop pellets than leaf plus the less surface area of the pellets helps prevent oxidation so they stay fresher for longer too.

During our visits to a few breweries we also got some interesting tips from brewers, I was surprised to hear a few of them are actually crushing their hop pellets especially in the more hop forward style beers, when sampling I have to say the hop profiles in their beers were impressive, so maybe grinding the hop pellets does actually work..

We use hop pellets in our brewery, simply put the brewer finds them easier to measure and they are cheaper to ship and take up less space. Hop pellets are better in the kettle as they don't soak up as much wort too but we still have home brewers who prefer leaf as they find it suits their system better, perhaps the romantic idea of brewing with fresh leaf hops isn't possible due to the fact we don't have them grown locally, the solution....

We have a range of nylon hop bags and we offer new innovative hop tea bags that infuse well without the issues surrounding blocked filters etc, do you guys still use leaf?

I'd use the leaf that I still have in the freezer, but any I buy now are pellets.

Latest posts

Back