Wilko hop & cheer IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if this is the same IPA, I'm pretty sure mine was just called Wilko IPA, so I don't think it is called Hop & Cheer anymore.

Anyway, I brewed this on 17th Feb 2018, using 38 pints of water and 1kg of brewing sugar.
OG was 1040 and FG was 1008 (4.2%).
Primed with 1/2 teaspoon table sugar and bottled on 2nd March. (oh and I put finings in a couple of days earlier by the way, no real reason for that, just wanted to see the effect).
I was disappointed when I tested it a couple of weeks later - it was completely flat, i.e zero carbonation, and was quite weak in taste (though at least I could detect a pale ale flavour).

Anyway, it's 8 weeks old now, and I'm pleased to say there is a definite improvement.

It's still slightly 'thin' to taste, but the flavour has developed and it now has a lasting head, and bubbles are rising all the time I'm typing this. Think I'll now leave it another 2 or 4 weeks to see if it improves more, but it's certainly drinkable as it is.

Next time I brew this, I'll use enhancer (with or without some spray malt), and maybe brew 36 pints instead of 38. But overall, it's definitely on the list to do again.

As for the finings, they might have had a quicker clearing effect, but it's possible they might have also slowed the carbonation, and the brews I've made since are perfectly clear enough without using any.

I brewed this for my first beer brew a couple of months ago.I used 1kg of muntons beer enhancer from Wilkos along with their 'real ale' yeast(which I understand to be Nottingham yeast,which I think is good)left in fermenter for 2 weeks @16-18'c ,batch primed with 80g sugar, bottle car bed for 2 weeks and then moved to cool garage.I think it tastes good,and very happy how it turned out.

Attachments

• 20181116_221908.jpg
    20181116_221908.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back