6% SMASH using Simcoe hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
What bitterness, flavour and aroma can I expect ? 6 gallon brew 25 gm simcoe for an hour, 35 for 20 minutes, 15 for 5 minutes, 25 for 3 minutes. Rest one hour then strain and cool before pitching re-hydrated safale 05 yeast. Mash at 70 - 71 deg C.

Stick it in brewers friend - though your mash temp will have removed a lot of unfermentable sugars so prepare for a high fg - doesn't mean it won't be good.

How much malt did you use?

What bitterness, flavour and aroma can I expect ? 6 gallon brew 25 gm simcoe for an hour, 35 for 20 minutes, 15 for 5 minutes, 25 for 3 minutes. Rest one hour then strain and cool before pitching re-hydrated safale 05 yeast. Mash at 70 - 71 deg C.

ah! you have 100g of simcoe. I'd not bother with 5 or 3 min additions - save them for pitching time or a dry hop. as for the bitterness... a beer calc should give you the ibu's - cos tastes differ. 40 ibu's for me is meh - it might be OMG my face is turning inside out for you? :grin:

mash so high because I want body and mouth feel - for me - you cannot have too many hops - I made a 1.9 % beer so good that my local microbrewery could not believe it was 1.9 they thought 3% - I gave them my start and end BRIX readings and they said 1.9% WOW

Using a calculator would give you the best idea but if you are leaving the hops to steep in hot wort without cooling for an hour then I think you will probably be well over 100 IBU.

The temperature probably won't drop below 80°C so the hops will carry on isomorising during the steep, adding bitterness until you start cooling.

Hot steeps are difficult to accurately calculate using brewing calculators but 100g of high alpha hops steeped for over an hour is a lot.

I have never used Simcoe before - can anybody describe flavour and taste in the finished beer, please ?

It's not that like Citra to my mind. Simcoe is a lovely mix of dank and piney mixed with tropical fruit. If you are lucky you can get a genuine passion fruit aroma from it.

I'm not a huge fan of Citra but love Simcoe. Kernel Brewery do a great Simcoe single hop.

Latest posts

Back