Worst commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely not Farmageddon? while I wouldn't say any of them are my favourites they're all reasonably decent beers...

I'd have to say McGargles - one of the rare times I've brought a pint back cos it's just **** beer!

There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever came up with Desperados - nasty beer flavoured alcopop rubbish.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I'd be surprised if it was Farmageddon tbh, but can't think of any others with farm in the name.

Have to agree...green king ipa is awful. .I've tried it cans and draught,stinking muck. Many years ago I tried the original boddingtons and it was a nice pint bit it's rubbish now. Last year tried battle axe bitter when in York. ..ditch water! It is suprising how many people think some of this stuff is OK. .

Cheers

Clint

John Smiths - yuk.

Toby bitter (if it's still brewed) - yuk, the bane of the social club.

I must be weird 'cos I actually liked Greene King IPA last time I had it - was driving so it's low ABV attracted me to it, didn't think it tasted too bad on hand pump.

Both the super strong Brewdog beers are rotten. Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink The Bismark taste like an IPA cordial! Like all things Brewdog, they are just a marketing exercise.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Surely not Farmageddon? while I wouldn't say any of them are my favourites they're all reasonably decent beers...

I'd have to say McGargles - one of the rare times I've brought a pint back cos it's just **** beer!

There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever came up with Desperados - nasty beer flavoured alcopop rubbish.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
11th pit of hell, below the sun reporter who is in the 10thpit of hell ... cf Ben Elton for the full joke.

Why are bottle beers in general such low quality?
I am getting tired of trying to locate the odd decent beer on the supermarket shelf and even these beers are not as good as beers you can brew and bottle yourself.
Beers that were great like Landlords Ale, are just average now.
Or is my palate becoming more discerning with the excellent quality beers I can find on tap in the pub?

I am getting tired of trying to locate the odd decent beer on the supermarket shelf and even these beers are not as good as beers you can brew and bottle yourself.
Or is my palate becoming more discerning with the excellent quality beers I can find on tap in the pub?

It may be because most bottled beers are not live but pasturised and filtered, and you prefer cask/bottle conditioned. There's a recent thread discussing this http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68119

I also wonder how travel effects beer. Does our HB tastes better than pub offerings because it only travels a few yard around our home from FV to glass? Wheras commercial beer can travel hundreds of miles. Does yeast not like to go far?

Aside from the mass produced beers, I can't stand Guinness. Not so much the taste - after all it tastes like thick, slightly sour water which is pretty inoffensive - but the marketing gone into that makes people think it's a genuine beer. It's a black Stella.

As previously mentioned, Green King IPA is pretty poor, and all those "best bitter" 3-4% ABV imitations which CAMRA love to circle jerk over. The GBBF at Olympia is filled with them.

I have never enjoyed Brooklyn Brewery either, and I've really tried to give them a chance. Their lager is undrinkable, and their various IPAs, brown ale, Sorachi Ace saison etc is really dull.

I didn't say farm was in the name if you read the post again but your not far away 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Yep, Hillstown. I've had their Goat's Butt and Drunken Donkey and they were both terrible.

I have never enjoyed Brooklyn Brewery either, and I've really tried to give them a chance. Their lager is undrinkable, and their various IPAs, brown ale, Sorachi Ace saison etc is really dull.

I find Brooklyn very hit and miss - their Black Chocolate stout is a thing of wonder but I'd agree that they do some fairly bland stuff too.

and all those "best bitter" 3-4% ABV imitations which CAMRA love to circle jerk over. The GBBF at Olympia is filled with them.

I've never been to GBBF but I like these type of low ABV quaffing bitters. I dont really follow what CAMRA get up to but I get the impression their quite dogmatic when it comes to their views on beer.

I also like Brooklyn Breweries Lager. I havent tasted any of their other beers though. I recently made a lower ABV steam lager using challenger, which I think came out really well. It was very malty but I like that. I based the grain bill on BB's Lager.

I defiantely agree with you on Guinness though. It's all fur coat and no knickers.

I've never been to GBBF but I like these type of low ABV quaffing bitters. I dont really follow what CAMRA get up to but I get the impression their quite dogmatic when it comes to their views on beer.

I also like Brooklyn Breweries Lager. I havent tasted any of their other beers though. I recently made a lower ABV steam lager using challenger, which I think came out really well. It was very malty but I like that. I based the grain bill on BB's Lager.

I defiantely agree with you on Guinness though. It's all fur coat and no knickers.

I generally try not to look at the abv of a beer until I'm drinking, but when I last went to the GBBF ~3 years ago it didn't matter which beer I had, they all tasted the same. I think low abv beer is harder to make than high abv beer. It can be really difficult getting good body and flavour with such little malt.

Now that Greenhall's has gone it has to be Robinsons for me

I recently reviewed a Robinson's Mojo pale ale on my blog. Aroma was great, flavour was terrible.

I'll quote my review;

” Uncomplimentary, watery, yet dominating biscuit and malt sweetness follows the overly muted wine and fruit flavours.”

had my one and only pint of TT Landlord last year
dishwater:nono:

I agree with the Guinness comments. It confused me for a long time that people I know, even those who appreciate good beer, are forever telling me how good Guinness is. But every time I drink it I'm left wondering what I'm missing, as others have said it just tastes like slightly tart and roasty water.

When I ask people why they like it, it seems like the answers are always about the creamy mouthfeel, never any mention of the flavour or aroma (presumably because it has neither). I've come to the conclusion that that is the only real reason people enjoy it, and when people talk about good and bad pints of Guinness, again it always seems to be about the mouthfeel. "The Guinness in that pub is s***e, thin and watery." Or "they do a great Guinness there, rich and creamy".

If all you want in a drink is creamy mouthfeel then I can recommend a nice glass of whole milk, only 50p a pint too. Anyway rant over :D

Back