Wheelers CAMRA how to..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham has posted on other forums because inverted sugar is not easily accessible to the home brewer he formulated the recipes to use white sugar. I bought a 25kg of invert No.2 last year and it does make a difference but I would recommend golden syrup as a good in-between solution.
The reason he does not state yeast is because only the original brewery yeast will get a perfect clone. Some liquid yeasts are derived from the originals and would be a good option if you can match the correct one, Whitelabs WLP002 comes from Fullers as an example.
Brewlabs are the best bet to get close matches. Personally I would avoid SO4 like the plague, boring, bland and no character.
He has been quiet on the other forums as he is in the process of re-writing the Home Brewing book, not the recipe one. After a few years of disagreement with CAMRA, the publisher, and ill health he sounds determined to finish the book.
As I think he is by far the best writer in home brewing I can't wait.
Making invert sugars here-
Making Brewers Invert | half a cat
:thumb:

I know a few brewers on other forums have used that method of making invert with good results. As I bought 25kg don't think I will be tryng it soon.

I'm going to go for my misses choice of recipe from the book. Already ordered the ingredients from get er brewed. ( Anyone know how I get the discount for next time?)
It's the Worthington white shield.
Anyone tried this one? Be first time I've tried northdown hops

I borrowed the book from someone and copied a good few recipies down.Not sure which edition it was however.
Have brewed a couple of the recipies and although none were c##p,they seemed to leave me wanting more from the beers, a tad bland.IE, did a Banks's bitter. Came out probably spot on for colour,but was just not hitting the spot.

I borrowed the book from someone and copied a good few recipies down.Not sure which edition it was however.
Have brewed a couple of the recipies and although none were c##p,they seemed to leave me wanting more from the beers, a tad bland.IE, did a Banks's bitter. Came out probably spot on for colour,but was just not hitting the spot.

The Craft Brewing thing has made the beers of the 1970's and 80's seem a bit dull, TBH. No great appetite these days for a watery 3-4% ABV drink that tastes like it was designed to fit a cost paring methodology.

The ones I have done include the SH Ruby Mild, Exmoor Beast, Exmoor Gold, Black Sheep Riggwelter and JWL Moonraker. I like the look of the Old Peculiar, the Robinsons Old Tom, Gales Festival mild and one or two others.

The Craft Brewing thing has made the beers of the 1970's and 80's seem a bit dull, TBH. No great appetite these days for a watery 3-4% ABV drink that tastes like it was designed to fit a cost paring methodology.

The ones I have done include the SH Ruby Mild, Exmoor Beast, Exmoor Gold, Black Sheep Riggwelter and JWL Moonraker. I like the look of the Old Peculiar, the Robinsons Old Tom, Gales Festival mild and one or two others.
I did Old Peculiar,came out ok as it happens. Went down well with those who had early bottles. The remainder turned into gushers:twisted::twisted:

Is there a calculator for the temp adjustment for strike water before the grains are added?
Or does anyone just have a rough guide to say 2.5kg of grain which is a rough amount of grain for 10l batches.
Lost a few degrees last time so don't want the same error to happen today.
Unfortunately wheeler doesn't give any info on this in the book.
P86 'full mash beers'

Cheers lads

Is there a calculator for the temp adjustment for strike water before the grains are added?
Or does anyone just have a rough guide to say 2.5kg of grain which is a rough amount of grain for 10l batches.
Lost a few degrees last time so don't want the same error to happen today.
Unfortunately wheeler doesn't give any info on this in the book.
P86 'full mash beers'

Cheers lads

I use the one from Jims. I find if I dough in half then give things a stir then dough in the other half it's very accurate

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

I've just been challenged by my father-in-law to brew up a clone of Riggwelter for autumn/Christmas. I see it's in this book and folks have brewed it. I've only had the beer once or twice and not for many years. Is the recipe good for it? If so I've been looking for an excuse to buy this book. :-)

I've got the Guinness export in the fv waiting to bottle there, my first ag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prob a bit early but how did this turn out?
It's one of the very few stouts I can try out from the book

I start the Worthington sheild today. Have fun with whatever anyone else is brewing. Was going to add fuggles but I'm now sticking to the recipe
Cheers

Last edited:
Prob a bit early but how did this turn out?

It's one of the very few stouts I can try out from the book

Just starting to come good now after a few weeks, very lightly carbed, not much head [emoji57] tasting great though

I've just been challenged by my father-in-law to brew up a clone of Riggwelter for autumn/Christmas. I see it's in this book and folks have brewed it. I've only had the beer once or twice and not for many years. Is the recipe good for it? If so I've been looking for an excuse to buy this book. :-)

I had a couple of Riggwelters in a pub on New Year's Eve and brewed the GW clone because of it. My version was slightly different in that I used First Gold for Challenger and more Progress for Fuggles.

After 2-3 months in the bottle it is very good. :thumb:

Just starting to come good now after a few weeks, very lightly carbed, not much head [emoji57] tasting great though

Cool. Yea I forgot to add some wheat to my last batch so I'm not expecting great head retention. I just stuck to the recipe this time.

Latest posts

Back