Forum Competition - New format

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

There has been quite a bit of discussion over the last few weeks about the format of the forum competition and how we can improve it to gain additional entries and also to provide something that works better for forum members. As such, the categories have been generalised to just American Pale Ales, Dark Beers, Freestyle and British Pales, Bitters & Milds with an additional "seasonal" competition every three months. You can see the discussion here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72551.

The first competition using the new categories is for September with the category being American Pale Ales so if you have one lying around or can brew one by the end of the September jump on head over to the thread (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=699920) and ask the judge for their address. You'll get some great feedback on your beer. :thumb: All brewers are welcome be it kits, extract or AG.

I'll create a new thread for the season competition to get that underway.

Mods - I'm assuming we're ok having this thread here as it won't need to be a sticky.

Check the Sept competition thread. I asked if there were any old threads on bottle sizes and how to wrap and post entries. Someone linked the old threads which you could use to update the rules.

Really sorry, I haven't had a chance to update the rules yet, but it will be to the effect of: there is a general monthly style, it's up to the judge ifa beer is not part of that style. So for example in September's competition, it seems like it's "American style" beers, and whilst it wasn't explicit in naming all American styles, someone asked if their American Amber can be submitted. If I were the judge I'd say yes, because that's the style of the month.

Bottle sizes - I know it's easier to post smaller bottles and less of them, but I would say that when I was a judge there were 4 of us judging, and when someone posts 1x 330ml bottle it becomes kind of difficult to judge such a small portion. It's encouraged to judge with others so the more that can be posted the better. I would like to put a limit on no less than 1x330ml as I think any smaller or any less would be difficult. I'll get rid of specific bottle sizes from the rules.

Obviously I'll get rid of anything relating to a specific style.

Back