Yeast Pitch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2weeks

Reaction score
Hi ladies and Gents
Just made an IPA (all grain) and pitched my yeast starter to it using white labs
WLP 090, the recipe asked for a second yeast pitch after the wort has been in the second fermenter for a week.
The question I'm asking is, do I pitch straight from the yeast vial or make a second starter, not sure about the yeast count I need for this second dose.
The S.G. should have been 1.090 but came out at 1.100.

Any help would be appreciated

The differences between the two SGs is only 1.31% ABV so either you may have been reading it wrong, or the hydrometer isn't quite accurate or the wort wasn't at the right temperature or it was accurate and you will have a stronger brew!

Personally, the only times I have ever pitched yeast twice for the same brew is when they have "stuck" or when they have refused to start fermenting and I have panicked, so I can't advise you on that one; apart from pointing out that it seems a great way to sell more yeast! :whistle:

Sounds like a pretty unusal recipe - calling a 2nd yeast pitch.
Can you give some details?
I'm not sure I see the point as long as you pitched a good amount at the beginning, considering your high gravity.

Last edited:
I've heard about high gravity beers needing a second dose of oxygen but not normally a second pitch of yeast.

Assuming you made a really big starter I'd see where it gets to before considering a second pitch.

I have heard of people pitching a specific alcohol tolerate yeast to help a high gravity brew finish off. This should only be necessary if the beer doesn't reach an acceptable final gravity. If that happens you wouldn't want to use the same yeast strain as it would likely just be knocked out by the high levels of alcohol.

Hi ladies and Gents
Just made an IPA (all grain) and pitched my yeast starter to it using white labs
WLP 090, the recipe asked for a second yeast pitch after the wort has been in the second fermenter for a week.
The question I'm asking is, do I pitch straight from the yeast vial or make a second starter, not sure about the yeast count I need for this second dose.
The S.G. should have been 1.090 but came out at 1.100.

Any help would be appreciated
This is a pretty advanced idea; certainly not one I've ever attempted, but might possibly be to gain the flavour attributes of the first yeast but complete the fermentation with an alcohol tolerant high attenuating second yeast (which apparently will not over-shadow the flavour attributes of the first).

All I can do is go on the teachings in Chris White's book "The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" (Brewing Elements series).

You will be pitching this second yeast into a hostile environment: No oxygen and probably quite high alcohol content. So the second yeast must already be in a fit state before pitching. So yes it must be made into a very active starter before pitching.

(EDIT: ... and the second yeast's count must be at least what would have been necessary to begin the fermentation as it will be taking over from the first which has probably been incapacitated by alcohol. But remember, there is no oxygen for it to grow to a suitable cell count so it needs to be pitched with all the cells it will need.)

Thanks Peebee, makes a lot of sense
This recipe came from Clone brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski, I had planed on my next brew being another one of theirs Thomas Hardy's Ale requiring three yeast pitchings!!
Think I'll put that one on the back burner for now.
Thanks once again for the advise
Regards 2weeks

Sorry Guys didn't see the other replies, thank you all for the help, just got back in to brewing after a long lay off, think I'll keep it simple for now

Old junior member 2weeks

Latest posts

Back