Brewferm Abdij fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleik

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a novice brewer on my 2nd brew. I've followed the instructions to the letter for the Abdij, and now at the stage of letting the bottles mature for a number of weeks or even months, after having achieved the correct final gravity, with 2nd fermentation complete ("keep in a warm place" I interpreted as 18-19° - I didn't want to overexcite the bottles and fall foul of a few explosions).

I opened a bottle to check for carbonation, which was good. Tastes fine. Nice, in fact. But the ABV tastes a lot more like a 5.8-6.0, certainly not 8.0. Will this resolve itself over the maturation period, or do I need to warm them for another week or so? The obvious concern is that the yeast is now done and dusted, as they've been at 11° for a week.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm a novice brewer on my 2nd brew. I've followed the instructions to the letter for the Abdij, and now at the stage of letting the bottles mature for a number of weeks or even months, after having achieved the correct final gravity, with 2nd fermentation complete ("keep in a warm place" I interpreted as 18-19° - I didn't want to overexcite the bottles and fall foul of a few explosions).

I opened a bottle to check for carbonation, which was good. Tastes fine. Nice, in fact. But the ABV tastes a lot more like a 5.8-6.0, certainly not 8.0. Will this resolve itself over the maturation period, or do I need to warm them for another week or so? The obvious concern is that the yeast is now done and dusted, as they've been at 11° for a week.

Thanks.

If your final gravity is as suggested in the kit instructions, then that is basically that. There are no more uncertainties in a kit brew. It is what the stated ABV on the can said it would be, given that the final SG reading is correct.

What it tastes like right now is kind of nice to know, but not worth opening the bottles for. Just leave them alone for a good long time.

the abdij needs a good 6 months and by month 9 it is amazing. :thumb:

These type of beers can hide their abv well. Did your og and fg match the instructions? Otherwise you may have used too much water and diluted it or not got the last bit of extract out of the can. There is a subtle difference when being told to add 21 litres instead of topping up to 21 liters. The top up instruction can lead to errors if you haven't accurately marked your fv using an accurate measuring jug. A litre of water should weight 1 kilo so you could use that method to accuratly mark you fv :grin:

n e ways - keep your abdij under lock and key at least till easter!

I still have some bottles that are nearly 3 years old. I added candi sugar and mine is 9.6% trust me you don't want it to taste strong

Hell's teeth, so that's the only part I shouldn't do to the book. I'll have to buy a few more bottles to get on with more batches then. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back