Mixing Lager Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I currently have a cooper European lager kit, with a best before date of 06/05/17. So I’ve ordered some new yeast to avoid disappointment,

...but in my haste I’ve only bought one 11.5g saflager s-23, and after reading instructions it says 2 x 11.5g for 10-15 litres at 11-15c!!!

I was gonna run it at around 15c in my temp fridge and brewing 23litres

Should I use the coopers kit yeast(7g) as well or wait and order an extra saflager s-23? Or would running a higher temp work?

Thanks in advance

Evening everyone,

I currently have a cooper European lager kit, with a best before date of 06/05/17. So I’ve ordered some new yeast to avoid disappointment,

...but in my haste I’ve only bought one 11.5g saflager s-23, and after reading instructions it says 2 x 11.5g for 10-15 litres at 11-15c!!!

I was gonna run it at around 15c in my temp fridge and brewing 23litres

Should I use the coopers kit yeast(7g) as well or wait and order an extra saflager s-23? Or would running a higher temp work?

Thanks in advance

If you have some DME, you could do a yeast starter to build up the number of viable yeast cells before pitching?

Other than that, if the kit yeast has been stored in the fridge, you should be fine using both yeasts.

+1 best to hydrate both separately and grow larger starters from both.. imho grow to 2l minimum volume, using 1.040 dme solution or sugar if you have nothing else, add 100g of sugar/dme to a dry measuring jug and make it upto 1l of volume and it should be spot on gravity wise.. hydrate the yeast in 30-50ml of warm water (no sugar or dme) and when hydrated mix with circa 250-300lm of sterile (boiled and cooled)1.040 dme/sugar solution , once that has exhusted its sugar, decant off the dead liquor before addling a further 1l of sterile 1.040 sugar solution, after 3-4 days of warm (24-30C) fermentation it too should be spent and decant off again before adding 2l of dme/sucrose solution, when thats spent all the sugar its ready to pitch, so again decant off the spent liquor before you pitch the yeast slurry..

well thats what i would do..

Thanks Fil,
I might of been home brewing for a couple of years but I still feel like a newbie! (I’m still just doing kits)... Especially when someone comes along and gives detail like that, unfortunately I don’t think I’m experienced enough to start building larger starters, at the mo!

If you have some DME, you could do a yeast starter to build up the number of viable yeast cells before pitching?

Other than that, if the kit yeast has been stored in the fridge, you should be fine using both yeasts.
Thanks slid,
Don’t have any DME, and didn’t realise I should keep yeast in the fridge to keep it longer!... every days a school day! Looks like I’m gonna have to buy more yeast!

+1 best to hydrate both separately and grow larger starters from both.. imho grow to 2l minimum volume, using 1.040 dme solution or sugar if you have nothing else, add 100g of sugar/dme to a dry measuring jug and make it upto 1l of volume and it should be spot on gravity wise.. hydrate the yeast in 30-50ml of warm water (no sugar or dme) and when hydrated mix with circa 250-300lm of sterile (boiled and cooled)1.040 dme/sugar solution , once that has exhusted its sugar, decant off the dead liquor before addling a further 1l of sterile 1.040 sugar solution, after 3-4 days of warm (24-30C) fermentation it too should be spent and decant off again before adding 2l of dme/sucrose solution, when thats spent all the sugar its ready to pitch, so again decant off the spent liquor before you pitch the yeast slurry..

Thanks Fil,
I might of been home brewing for a couple of years but I still feel like a newbie! (I’m still just doing kits)... Especially when someone comes along and gives detail like that, unfortunately I don’t think I’m experienced enough to start building larger starters, at the mo!

great short and to the point instruction on growing a yeast,bookmarked,thanks Fil:thumb:

Back