Hoppy taste to my brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottl86

Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quick question (maybe not quick answers though!)

I've had 2 drinkable batches from my 3 brews so far but they have both had a very very hoppy taste to them, The first was an American Steam Beer and the second is Raja's Reward.

Any ideas as to why they turn out so hoppy?

Thanks all

:cheers:

Were they dry hopped? And how soon did you drink them after bottling/Kegging?

Hi All

Just a quick question (maybe not quick answers though!)

I've had 2 drinkable batches from my 3 brews so far but they have both had a very very hoppy taste to them, The first was an American Steam Beer and the second is Raja's Reward.

Any ideas as to why they turn out so hoppy?

Thanks all

:cheers:

The American Steam hops were added dry to the FV, The Raja's reward was the tea bag style hops that you soak then add with the water to the FV

I can't remember exactly with the American Steam but I think probably about 3/4 week after bottling, The Raja's reward has now been 5 weeks

The American Steam hops were added dry to the FV, The Raja's reward was the tea bag style hops that you soak then add with the water to the FV

I can't remember exactly with the American Steam but I think probably about 3/4 week after bottling, The Raja's reward has now been 5 weeks

Hm, the hoppiness should have mellowed out a bit already. Does the recipe give anything referring to the IBU's? What hops were used?

Perhaps the hoppy taste is what the kits are is supposed to taste like!

My thought, too. Wondering what commercial beers the OP usually drinks and if they're point of reference is filtered and pasteurised supermarket beer.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

"they have both had a very very hoppy taste to them"

... was that not the idea?

Now now, let's not question the taster here. @Scottl86 thinks it tastes hoppy, let's find out if MAYBE the beers were hoppy. As in >100 IBU. Or maybe one of them had juniper berries in them, that could add to a hoppy experience too.

Now now, let's not question the taster here. @Scottl86 thinks it tastes hoppy, let's find out if MAYBE the beers were hoppy. As in >100 IBU. Or maybe one of them had juniper berries in them, that could add to a hoppy experience too.

Whilst I agree with not questioning the taster, you can’t measure hoppyness with IBUs, you can have a bitter beer without much hop flavour and vice versa. It would be good to get more detail from the OP.

My thought, too. Wondering what commercial beers the OP usually drinks and if they're point of reference is filtered and pasteurised supermarket beer.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I'm not much of a hop head and dont particularly like 'hoppy' beers. I've tried raja's reward in spoons and found it far too 'hoppy' for my liking. So I'm guessing it could be subjective.

One other possibility, is yeast. Some yeasts can activley mute hop flavours whilst other's can make the hops pop out. I notice the OP says that one of the beers is an American Steam. MJ steam beer yeast (CaliCommon) really does make the hop flavours stand out, so perhaps whatever steam beer yeast comes with this kit is similar to the MJ one?

But, a 100 IBUs isn't too hoppy. Not, to me anyway.

So, yes, let us question the taster here. I want to know what commercial beers aren't too hoppy, so we then share the same point of reference.

I think we are talking about Festival US Steam Beer kit and Bulldog Raja's Reward India Pale Ale, which in the general scheme of things probably aren't IBU monsters, and so hoppy refers to tasting of hops, not bitterness. Hoppy flavour that is usually filtered out of most supermarket beer. Just my take on this, awaiting further info from @Scottl86.

Suspect @myqul is on the right track here, with yeast substitution being the only option.

Of course it could be the way that they are supposed to taste, You do get over the taste after a couple of them. I didn't know if I was leaving the hops in too long?? Just seemed a little odd that out of 2 brews both taste like your munching down on a packet of hops!

Just about to order Milestone dasher the flasher to brew ready for xmas so I will see how that turns out

Back