Lessons Learned This Week...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
... don't try to pour the dregs of the fermenter down the sink when it includes 50g of pulverized leaf hops. :doh:

I typically use hop pellets either supplied with the beer kit or added by me but this week I finished a Beerworks Sheepdog's Pride Suffolk Bitter that came with 50g of Pilgrim in leaf form which I had previously smashed up in a blender and then made hop tea with adding the whole lot to the beer.

Normally the dregs from pellets + the yeast cake I just lob in the sink and wash away.

I tried to do this this time, queue one blocked sink and alot of cursing by me. I eventually managed to shift it with the plunger but had visions of having to remove all the pipework to the utility sink + own up to the missus. Won't be doing that again!

Ideally I'd compost it but we don't have a heap at home, only down the allotment, and I like to clean my fermenters straight after use.

Ive been pouring mine straight out onto the garden. Don't have a compost heap but figured any extra watering and goodness might just break down on the plants.

Always frustrating when things like this happen. You could pour it into a different bucket to take down to the allotment?

All mine go into the "green" bin..garden waste etc.
Edit..
I had to check...if you have dogs or cats DON'T CHUCK YOUR HOPS ON THE GARDEN OR COMPOST AS THEY ARE POISONOUS TO THEM!!

Mine always go down the sink when rinsing out the boiler, and the outside grate regularly gets so blocked that water runs down the street and the washing machine won't empty etc. Who cares? I just send the missus and a pair of Marigolds out to deal with it.

I do have a compost heap. The used grain attracts mice but hopefully keeps them away from the house.

The benefits to your compost is far greater than the downside of a few mice, the worms will love the sugar that's left in the grains.

We don't have a compost heap but have one of those big green plastic compost bins you can get from the garden centre. All grains and trub go in there. Get's the worms drunk and helps the fruit we tip in there to ferment as well.

Latest posts

Back