4th brew- Wilkos dark velvet stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is now at 1.006 and ready for bottling... but the bottles I ordered are at the bloody post office, so it'll have to wait until Saturday. This means it won't be ready by Christmas as I'd hoped, which is slightly irritating.

Annoyingly, the treacle flavour seems to have fermented out leaving it with minimal roasty or hoppy flavour and a very subtle hint of liquorice. It's pleasant, but it's mostly a bland maltiness with not a lot to it. I might add a pot of coffee to it before bottling just to jazz it up a bit, what do you reckon?

I'm surprised you hope your beer will be ready by Christmas. Its only 11 days away. Even if you bottled it today it will only be just about carbed up. Then it will need some conditioning/maturing before its worth drinking.
I can't see why adding coffee wouldn't work. I would try for the most concentrated coffee you can make (espresso if you have a machine) and allow it to cool before you gently pour it in. Personally I would not use instant coffee, awful stuff.

I did a coffee stout some time ago,used ESE coffee pods steeped overnight in cooled boiled water and added before bottling,very nice too:thumb:

Yeah I mistimed it badly.

I have a Nespresso machine, but I was thinking a cafetiere of coffee cold-steeped overnight would be a better option.

Yeah I mistimed it badly.

I have a Nespresso machine, but I was thinking a cafetiere of coffee cold-steeped overnight would be a better option.
As already stated don't use instant.Fresh imho is better and i would cold steep it as well, just as i did with my ESE pods. Dare say others will have different opinions:lol::lol:

Cold steeped a cafetiere full of coffee over Friday night, added it on Saturday and gently stirred it in. Bottled today at 1006, so I make that 5.4%.

It's bloody gorgeous, if I do say so myself. The liquorice is definitely there, and now it has big hits of coffee too. I can't wait until this is matured.

Back